SC
    Looks good Larry.
    03 Rubicon
    42 Ford GPW25771

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Since Brooks has his new project in the works it got me motivated to get back on this. This weekend I plan to pick up some 12 tube to build rub rails and fenders. I also ordered a charging station panel for inside with 2 USB ports and a cigarette lighter plug.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Power station is done.

'04 LJ Sleeper

City
    columbia
    State
    SC
    Very nice! Where did the panel come from? Does the rocker switch turn it on, and if so, is it through a relay?

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by rolledxj View Post
    Very nice! Where did the panel come from? Does the rocker switch turn it on, and if so, is it through a relay?
    This is the panel:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D4...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rocker switch feeds the panel so the meter and back light aren't on all the time. No relay. The switch is rated for 20 amps and the circuit is on a 15 amp breaker, but it will never pull that. It's tapped in to the trailer's original overhead light wiring that is just 2 led lights.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    I like that panel. I'm contemplating installing one of those voltage/current meters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I ran out of time and energy before hot springs to build my fenders. My plan is very similar to Brooks' but to make them bolt on if possible. Although I'm more concerned about the weight now after dragging that thing loaded up Saluda grade...

To have some kind of coverage for the Hot Springs trip, I bolted the factory plastic fenders back on and went to town trimming them.

Decent coverage from the front, which was my biggest concern knowing it would be towed home behind my pickup.

For anyone behind... sorry

Hopefully before I pull it again I'll have some time to work on it. I think I'm going to use the 1x2 1/8th wall I already bought for the rub rail but get some 1/16th for the rest to lighten it a little.

Oh, and if any JK owners need fender trimming, my services are available for a small fee
    Last edited by LBarr2002; 09-15-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    I ran out of time and energy before hot springs to build my fenders. My plan is very similar to Brooks' but to make them bolt on if possible. Although I'm more concerned about the weight now after dragging that thing loaded up Saluda grade...

To have some kind of coverage for the Hot Springs trip, I bolted the factory plastic fenders back on and went to town trimming them.

Decent coverage from the front, which was my biggest concern knowing it would be towed home behind my pickup.

For anyone behind... sorry

Hopefully before I pull it again I'll have some time to work on it. I think I'm going to use the 1x2 1/8th wall I already bought for the rub rail but get some 1/16th for the rest to lighten it a little.

Oh, and if any JK owners need fender trimming, my services are available for a small fee
    I used 1/8 for the rub rails and 1/16 for the fenders, I think it was ample. I had originally bought 1/8" for the outer tube on the fender, but decided to squeeze all the fender tubes out of that one stick of 1/16.
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    One of the biggest issues I've had with the Neon is the bed comes out the front, which requires the jeep to be unhooked, jacks deployed, etc. If you're camping for a couple nights it's no problem, but it's very inconvenient for one night roadside camping.

So, I present the Extend-O-Tongue:
    20170812_173417.jpg

When I built the 3 axis hitch, I got a long enough piece of 2x2 1/4 wall to do this, but I decided it would be too heavy. I finally got around to revising my idea using 2x2 1/16 wall. We took the original insert over to Tripp's house and milled 1/16 off each side, 2" back so they would slide together, and cut plug weld slots.

20170812_113011.jpg

20170812_115641.jpg

In normal towing, nothing changes. When you get to your stop, you chock the wheels (or trip the breakaway brake switch), pull the hitch pin, and drive forward. There's a stop on the extension that stops it at the proper spot. Insert the pin, wind up the top, and go to bed.

When you're ready to go in the morning, you pull the pin and back up. There's another stop to stop it at the proper spot for towing. Insert pin, hook up chains and lights, and you're ready to go.

Also hard wired my interior lights and panel to the battery instead of having to use the cigarette lighter plug it came with, and installed a breakaway switch.
    20170812_173554.jpg
    Last edited by LBarr2002; 08-12-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC
    I love your little camper. I still maintain that A. They were fools to discontinue this model. B. Everyone else are fools for not copycating these things. I bet they would be a hit in the 4x4 community.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast