Fleetwood Neon trail camper

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This morning I picked up a brand new, never sold, been in dealer inventory since 2006, Fleetwood Neon popup. I stumbled on to it while reading a thread on Expedition Portal about modifications to the Neon. After talking to the dealer and negotiating price, I decided it was too good to pass up. The only problem was, it was in Bath, PA! I got it cheaper than I've seen any used ones, and there were no used ones close either...

Burgundy and I left at lunch on Friday, drove to Allentown PA last night, and were at Harold's RV center first thing this morning. We picked it up and are currently at my cousin's house in Danville, PA. Tomorrow morning we'll start the 10.5 hour drive home, and both have to be at work Monday. I had the dealer check it over for me. We inspected tires, bearings, etc, but wish us luck!

Tow rig overkill, but no way I was driving the Jeep this far.
IMAG0142_zps91a6f6de.jpg

79325_5_zps951e9564.jpg

79325_3_zps29e9a234.jpg

79325_6_zpsf33857dd.jpg

The Neon is a 6'10" box with one bed out the front (77" x 52"). Total width is 6'7", but the box is only about 4.5' wide. The wheels are completely outside the box, so it looks like it will be pretty easy to modify for larger wheels/tires. Dry weight is 950 lbs with a 90 lb tongue weight.

I plan to do a few convenience upgrades like battery on the tongue to power interior lights, 12V outlets, and possibly an inverter, and either a storage compartment or cooler on tongue. Eventually we will look into a small roof mounted heat a/c unit.

I'll have to look at it closer when I get home, but I hope to be able to run a matching pair of Jeep Ravines and 31" ATs on the camper. That will depend on how much modification I'll have to get in to with the fenders and leveling jacks.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I got it for $2500. New MSRP was over $4000 and the few I've seen used have been $3000-3500. There have been a few used ones at dealers still listed for over $4000 and sold.

I figured it would cost me near that for a nice M416, RTT, and building a lid, and I can stand up in this and get to my storage while I'm in it.

Sounds like a deal to me. I may be in the market for something similar next year.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting on the crapper

I would def get a spare tire or 2 they will be going double the speed your truck is...I know we use to blow motorcycle trailer tires because of that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I would def get a spare tire or 2 they will be going double the speed your truck is...I know we use to blow motorcycle trailer tires because of that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
It's got a spare on the tongue, but I hope to not be rolling on the 10"s for long.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Had an good, uneventful trip home even with the rain from north VA all the way past Charlotte. I put the camper away until I have time to start messing with it, probably June the way things are going...

IMAG0144_zpsbadb7680.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Over the past few weeks I've been getting ready for the first trip with the camper. I put a 7 pin plug on the Jeep and installed a brake controller in it, but had a tail light problem. Turned out one of the sockets was bad so I found some Blazer LEDs that were a direct replacement.

IMAG0163_zpsc90d6b42.jpg

IMAG0169_zps21dd0141.jpg

IMAG0171_zps32374138.jpg

Towed it behind the Jeep for the first time. It does ok, but overdrive will be off...
IMAG0170_zps3670e7a7.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I made the first real modification to the trailer tonight. Brooks was concerned about how low the stabilizer jacks hung under the frame. I did a quick search and Saveajacks (www.saveajack.com) showed up, and Camping World had them in stock. So, I removed the stock spring loaded fold down stabilizers and installed scissor type leveling jacks on Saveajack removable plates:

stock:
IMAG0232_zps1f5450e8.jpg

now:
IMAG0231_zpsa5f5d6f6.jpg

The Saveajack has a top plate that mounts to the trailer frame, and a lower plate that attaches to the top of the jack. The plates slide together and attach with two clips. It allows the jacks to be removed while towing, but easily installed when setting up in camp.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I picked up some 31" BFG ATs for the camper, and I'm thinking about suspension mods... I need to find a set of stock Sami springs to test with, but I'm thinking about running stock sami springs in the front spring hangers and moving the rear mounts back however far they need to go. This will move the axle back (probably around 5") which will give it the tongue weight it needs, and make it a little easier to back up.

Looking for 2 Ravine wheels to match the Jeep and some Sami (or other 2" wide, short, soft) springs.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I finally got around to putting a battery on the trailer. This trolling motor battery box (http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Trol...4271147&sr=8-1&keywords=minn+kota+battery+box) fits perfectly in the angle iron of the trailer tongue, like it was made for it. It has external posts with a 60 amp breaker and two cigarette lighter ports with I believe a 10 amp breaker. The trailer is set up from the factory with a long cable that is designed to plug into your tow vehicle's cigarette plug. For now, I'll plug that into the box but later I'll hard wire it in and add some more accessories inside the camper.

20151007_215058_zpsgptgyujv.jpg

20151007_215108_zpsj5ptvtiv.jpg

I've collected all the parts I need to lift it. I have new springs and swing shackles to eliminate the slipper springs. I got another set of Ravine's to use on the trailer, but they don't fit over the hubs. I'm undecided whether I want to machine them out to fit or use steel wheels. I'm going to try to get these mods done before the middle of next month.

Last edited:
If I understand right, you have switched to Jeep wheels. If you make the wheels for the trailer a custom design then you will need a separate spare. But if you change the hubs on the trailer to fit the Jeep you can use the same spare as the Jeep.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
If I understand right, you have switched to Jeep wheels. If you make the wheels for the trailer a custom design then you will need a separate spair. But if you change the hubs on the trailer to fit the Jeep you can use the same spair as the Jeep.
The trailer from the factory is 5x4.5, same as the jeep. The center bore of the Ravine is too small. If I go that route, I will machine 3 of the ravines I have to fit it, 2 on the trailer and the spare on the back of the jeep. That way the spare could be used on the jeep or the trailer.