Red TJ Build

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I know in the plumbing section, they have ABS cement, PVC cement and also ABS to PVC cement. That last one might be helpful since it's a combination cement and may work with an odd plastic like that.

I know in the plumbing section, they have ABS cement, PVC cement and also ABS to PVC cement. That last one might be helpful since it's a combination cement and may work with an odd plastic like that.
cool, I'm going to try that, they also say the abs cement is sandable, and makes a good filler.

got the tcase and motor mount in the mail saturday afternoon. My hunch turned out to be correct, that the jeep TJ grill is too close to allow room for a Chassis Mounted servo with the motor mount from GCM. So I made one out of plate.

Here is the pic of realizing it wont fit.

2013-02-16_13-38-06_328.jpg

tinkered a bit with it on monday. I'm not sure I like my servo mount, I need to get the body stretched and then I will know better. Its supposed to be here tomorrow.

I got in my second red body today that I was planning to use to stretch this one to LJ length, turns out it is a different plastic so the glue probably wont work well on the dissimilar plastics. Sooo... I shortened the wheelbase a good bit and I think I'm going to keep the body TJ length.

2013-02-19_20-35-07_460.jpg

Could make some corner guards out of real thin metal to clean up the lines and add rigidity to body.

When ppl do metal work on these, they use solder for the welds?
I plan to make corner guards anyways to make a round fender opening instead of the flare shaped hole, but yes, if I stretch it I would be using the corner guards to hold the body together.

I have been using the mig for everything so far, but I plan to pick up a map torch and some saftey silv to braze some of the body work I think.

Did you shorten it even more? That looks to be a good bit shorter than 12".
yup, after I got off the phone with you last night I shortened it to Dingo Wheelbase, I think its 11.4" I did it just to see what it would look like, It wont climb the steep stuff as well, but I think it looks much better at this wheelbase if I'm not going to stretch the body tub.

Gotcha, I was doing some research on that last night also. It looks way better like that. So you just shortened the rear links?
Yeah, I actually used my old front upper links as the new rear lower links. I'll eventually sleeve them if I like this wheelbase, they are currently just all thread and revo rod ends.

So, I mounted my rear shocks....not sure if its how I'll leave it but it works well. I also decided to see what the rear corner guards would look like, so I made some templates out of cardboard.

New rear shock mounts, I cut up some old aluminum skidplate from my honcho.
2013-02-20_20-29-25_575.jpg

Another shot of the trimmed front servo mount/bumper.
2013-02-20_20-29-45_450.jpg

With the basic shape cut out.
2013-02-20_20-28-43_138.jpg

testing flex
2013-02-20_20-28-28_550.jpg

2013-02-20_20-28-18_885.jpg

Next step is mounting the body and starting the cage I guess.

Trying to figure out some small hardware to use for my corner guards that wont look huge. Any suggestions? 3mm hardware is huge, but nobody local carries anything smaller that I have found. I know mcmaster, or maybe fastenal?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Go pick up one of the glasses repair kits. Those little bolts would be about the right size to look scale and they have nuts and all.