4.56 ring & pinion in Chrysler 8.25....

I am trying to stay around 4.5" - 5" of lift and 33" tires with an AW4 in an XJ. Trying to decide between 4.11 or 4.56 gears, but I keep reading that you have to grind to re-install the pin. I have a PowerTrax No-Slip shipping to me, and this is not my DD. Is there a way to avoid grinding if you have plenty of time?

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to stay around 4.5" - 5" of lift and 33" tires with an AW4 in an XJ. Trying to decide between 4.11 or 4.56 gears, but I keep reading that you have to grind to re-install the pin. I have a PowerTrax No-Slip shipping to me, and this is not my DD. Is there a way to avoid grinding if you have plenty of time?

Thanks in advance.
you should be able to just grind one tooth on the ring gear. Many gear ratios over 4.10 on many axles require the grind. Its not much you have to take off. I would also suggest going to 4.56 if you are planning to run 33s.

i had to grind my 8.8 ring gear for install, and i haven't had a single problem out of it. honestly i don't think it affects the strength of the gears that much.

and i would go 4.56 cause 4.88's and 35's is ideal with the aw4

I am more inclined to grind a tooth instead of the pin, and 4.56 seems to be the trend with 33" tires. I was thinking 4.11 would be better for mileage (since I can't trailer), but like the idea of lower gearing when off-road.

Yeah don't grind the pin, no one said anything about grinding the pin. The pin needs to be full size so the axle shafts don't have room to move in and out releasing the c-clips. Just grind one or two of the teeth, WHILE OUT OF THE HOUSING to keep shavings out of the equation. Check that the pin will go in and then install the carrier assembly.

Yeah don't grind the pin, no one said anything about grinding the pin. The pin needs to be full size so the axle shafts don't have room to move in and out releasing the c-clips. Just grind one or two of the teeth, WHILE OUT OF THE HOUSING to keep shavings out of the equation. Check that the pin will go in and then install the carrier assembly.
That's the plan at this point. I'll search for a decent deal on 4.56 ring & pinion for D30 and 8.25 with master kits, and whip up an adjuster tool or buy one, and find my dial indicator and base. Nobody makes a c-clip eliminator for a 8.25, do they?

That's the plan at this point. I'll search for a decent deal on 4.56 ring & pinion for D30 and 8.25 with master kits, and whip up an adjuster tool or buy one, and find my dial indicator and base. Nobody makes a c-clip eliminator for a 8.25, do they?
Did some price shopping today, and found a good deal, but the vendor's name rang a bell. Did some checking on other forums, and it looks this is the same PORC that had customer service issues a few years ago, but the address is different. I guess PORC (Performance Off Road Center) is still questionable?

Call up chase at east coast gear supply. Or the guys at CFS Off-Road in Columbia had a good deal on gears when i did my 8.8 recently.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've ordered from accuautoparts.com before. Their prices are good, but getting it local would be better. I bought a knotched pin when I did 5.13s in an 8.8. I don't know if that's available for the 8.25.

01tj

Check 4x4 Rock Shop, Always like to buy parts from someone that is out there on the trails with you.

Thanks for the info, Clemson 4Wheel, Galloways, and Tarheel 4 Wheel Drive Center are about the only ones I know left from my CJ days. I try to support local businesses all that I can (love my local Ace Hardware, and the Grade 8 bolt bins:drool:), and Carolina Driveline provided my SYE and driveshafts for the XJ.

There used to be a 4x4 shop in Greenville...I called once about getting the radius arm bushing done on my '91 Explorer a few years back.

01tj

Foothillis 4 Wheel Drive is in Greenville, I actually think its called East Coast Differential now.
864-235-1144