Joined the RedTJ club... Kinda

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Got all three things on my list done today, and added another...

The radiator skid is honestly a 20 minute job. Every TJ should have one.
20160903_155041_zpsucyv08zg.jpg

Second was mounting the storage pins for the JKS disconnects. When I first put on the disconnects, I mounted the pin on one side but the tire got in to it. I gave up finding a suitable location and have been using zip ties. I had been looking at it again and thought I could make them work. My first spot tonight I neglected to check for interference with the links when they were connected. So, third time is a charm.
20160903_170731_zpsrstwgbgw.jpg
20160903_170847_zps8dlf0mnb.jpg 20160903_174845_zpshhnkszfh.jpg

With as little lift as I have, and the 35x12.50s with minimum backspace, this is the only place I could find that the tire can't get them.

Third, I changed the speedo gear to match the tire change. 4.88's with 33s I had a 41 tooth and it was dead on. Changed it to a 39 with the 35s and dead on again.

And the "testing" poser shots:
20160903_174834_zpss1y4rfbe.jpg
20160903_174820_zps1meif8tc.jpg

So the added item... I have a pop in the steering that happens at the extremes. Full left and it will pop once, if you turn back a little and full left again, it will not pop. Full right and it pops, again will only do it once until it pops going the other way. It sounds like its in the lower joint of the steering shaft or the box.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I would take a REAL close look at the track bar.
Dad, Burgundy, and I have all been under it multiple times while someone else turns the wheel, hands on everything, and can't feel it. When checking from the bottom the sound comes from right behind the box skid. When listening from the top, its coming from below the coolant bottle. I'll check the upper track bar mount one more time, but I don't think that's it.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I drove it to work today and by the time I got in the parking garage the pop was much more frequent. I ran it over to CFS at lunch and they quickly diagnosed it as the frame side track bar bolt. Jason backed it off and ran it down again and no more clunk. I checked it and even put a wrench on it, but I guess I need a bigger wrench.

Anyway, no more pop and ready to go this weekend!

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I took Nora to Gulches for a little while on Saturday. I learned that she doesn't like going down hill but she has no fear climbing anything I tried. If you look closely you can see her in the pic below and she's not too thrilled.

The trip highlighted a few issues I knew I needed to resolve. I think I'm going to add another half inch of bump stop in the front. The tires get into the bumper. The contact area is smooth and it's fine going forward, but I had to back up at one point with the left front stuffed and it chuncked the outer lugs a little.

20160924_104303_zpsml0vsmwp.jpg

20160924_104328_zpsulbyycj0.jpg

At full bump in the rear the track bar hits the mounting flange on the new gas tank skid. I think I can trim it a little. Also the front track bar hits the axle side mount a little. I plan to work on those minor issues and be ready to go to Windrock.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The new fuel pump I installed with the gas tank skid in April, even though there was nothing wrong with the original, because I "Don't want to ever have to drop the tank again" apparently has a faulty check valve. Awesome...

Noticed it the weekend at gulches and it has continued this week. I have to prime the system before it will start.

oh that sucks. The one thing that Toyota got spot on was on the old 4 runners, you pop up the rear seat cushion and there is an access plate with 4 bolts to get to the fuel pump. I wish more manufacturers would have had that foresight

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
At full bump in the rear the track bar hits the mounting flange on the new gas tank skid. I think I can trim it a little. Also the front track bar hits the axle side mount a little. I plan to work on those minor issues and be ready to go to Windrock.
I actually got to get under the jeep a little bit today and both track bar clearance issues were easily resolved. The mounting holes on the tank skid are slotted so I was able to loosen thr nuts, push the mounting flange back, and tighten. You can see where the track bar was hitting.

20161009_145721_zpsulwqmh3y.jpg

The front took a sledge and a flap wheel, but made a little more clearance.

Where it was hitting
20161009_143702_zpswbimbvuo.jpg

Little bit of room now.
20161009_145637_zpsbpgwujyg.jpg

The front diff cover is hitting the track bar too. Planning to add .5" more bump stop that should take care of that and the tire issues.

#lowjeepproblems

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Getting old sucks. The Windrock trip (and the ride there and back in the jeep) killed my back. It took me a week to recover. I just placed the order for a set of Corbeau Baja RS seats and mounts. Hopefully they'll be in in time to install before Uwharrie. The seats and passenger mount showed in stock and the driver side said ships from manufacturer. If the passenger side shows up and not the driver I'm gonna be pissed. Or I'll make my rider drive ;).

My Lexus seats aren't that great on a trip. I have to leave the heaters on. My favorite seats have been my 03 burb and my 99 tj. The seats in the old lady's tsx are fairly good as well.

My Lexus seats aren't that great on a trip. I have to leave the heaters on. My favorite seats have been my 03 burb and my 99 tj. The seats in the old lady's tsx are fairly good as well.
I agree my 99 burban had some of the most comfortable seats in it. Not to mention the room also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
20161204_175136_zpsspeh2e0u.jpg

Hoping the Tuesday delivery date is correct. If not I guess it will be 5 gallon buckets :).

Old seats are out and sliders are separated, ready for the Corbeaus and adapters.

Drove the jeep to Charleston this weekend. I was pretty surprised how well the stock seats did. I used to hate the 03 and up seats but I guess I don't fit em like a used to.