Joined the RedTJ club... Kinda

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Done, with no more ghetto lean.
20160325_182951_zpsoqzhtyz8.jpg

The rear wheel studs are shorter than the fronts and don't pretrude all the way through the lug nuts that hold the spacers on. I loctited them, but I think I'm going to go ahead and put in longer studs.

The rest of the changes on this wave will be underneath and not really noticeable.

Wheel/tire weights:
Ravine 33lbs, 33" bfg at 43lbs, total 62 lbs.
JK Moab 25.5 lbs, 35" km2 69 lbs, total 94.5 lbs.

For future reference, mileage is 145,900.

Last edited:
If you have 1/2" of thread engagement you will be fine. Sometimes those open ended lug nuts are long and you actually have plenty of threads engaging even though they don't stick out the end of the nut.

Looks good btw.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
First of the underneath bling.

I finally swapped out my single adjustable steel uppers for double adjustable aluminum. I've had them for a while but some time ago I discovered/remembered that my jeep had been drilled out for larger upper hardware. The joints in the steel arms fit the larger hardware, but the double adjustable joints are too small. So, I swapped the guts of the old joints over to the new arms.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've handed her over to CFS to do some more work. I don't have the time to devote to the jeep before OSCAR with the baby coming. Its getting tube sleeves, c gussets, hd lowers, and lower skids on the front so it will hopefully live with those 35s.

When I get it back I need to address the gas tank. Any recommendations for skids?

Edit: Went ahead and ordered UCF to match the rest of my skids.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
what did you not like about the rampage top? Im thanking about ordering one for my jeep.
I still have, and use, both. I don't remember why I put the stock one on at that point, but the downsides of the rampage top is its loud and you loose cargo space because of how much it slants on an LJ. I really like that it stores the windows though. I mainly run the rampage as a trail top and the full top if it's the whole family with a bunch of stuff.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm really excited to see what this thing will do now. Picking it up from CFS tomorrow, but Jason sent me some pics.

123_1_zps9bwouzxl.jpg

1_zpsbccd0q21.jpg

3_zpsgxxqsw4w.jpg

And the gas tank skid showed up today:
20160412_200524_zpszabgymby.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This is where it sits tonight...

One of the vent/evap line fittings was broken. Hopefully that's where my recurring CEL for small evap leak is coming from. I ran to the auto parts store just before 9 and of course bought the wrong hose repair kit...

Most of the fuel line clips broke. Luckily Advance has them, Dorman #800-023 for an assortment of 5/16 and 3/8. #800-041 for the 5/8" at the evap canister.

I went ahead and put a new pump unit in it too. Don't want to ever have to drop the tank again.

Edit: the connection at the evap cannister is 5/8", so part number 800-041... Advance has a much better assortment of line repair parts and 800-058 was perfect to replace the broken fitting.
20160424_112849_zpslrrappkd.jpg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Stuffed:
20160424_195407_zpsbr8vcnvh.jpg

20160424_195323_zpsk0hbxjax.jpg

Little rubbage on the edges of the front bumper, but its all smooth so I think it will be ok.

Trail mode engaged:
20160424_204221_zpsiit2qjjf.jpg

Now to pack...

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Did some trading around to get a set of red half doors. Tripp will now have green half doors with spice uppers, and I traded the black doors that he had (I bought from Barclay a couple years ago) for red ones.

20160503_213328_zpsjgbp5apm.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I dented the rear driveshaft at Windrock last year. Picked up a backup while preparing for OSCAR but didn't swap it out. I kinda expected it to twist in half at gulches. Picked up a couple new u joints today and plan to put new joints in the spare and install it this weekend if I can find time to put my HF press together.

I'm planning to send the dented original to Carolina Driveline to be retubed. Anyone have experience doing that with a slip yoke shaft? Good idea?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
You may save some money if you cut off the ends and just have them retube it from them. That way they do not have to charge you for removing them.
I'll just take the whole thing to them. It won't make much of a difference if the ends are already cut off.
I'm second guessing it though because if the tube is thicker and you drop the weight of the jeep on the driveshaft, that's putting a lot of leverage on the tcase output instead of just denting the driveshaft. Probably over thinking it...