Joined the RedTJ club... Kinda

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Much better.
20170108_121300_zps0esnlsnu.jpg

I cut everything that sticks up from the factory cross bars so that it was relatively flat (the tabs for cables and the tabs that stick up on the back). Then I redrilled the seat hole pattern directly on the cross bars. One of the front bolts is directly above the slider handle so I had to unbolt the cross piece and put the bolt in first. Then I welded a piece of angle and drilled and tapped it for the seat belt bolt. Everything worked out great.

20170108_102538_zpskakjqpmq.jpg

20170108_102600_zpsfeaebfkd.jpg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My small project from the workday Saturday.
20170212_171632_zpswtoaa7mu.jpg
In 04-06 jeeps you have to drill a hole in the windshield trim plastic (that doesn't exist on earlier models). The measurements in the instructions suck because they don't give you an accurate reference point. I did the passenger side first so that if I screwed it up I wouldnt be staring at it all the time. Passenger side is perfect. Drivers side... missed a little with the hole and was barely able to get the trim back on.... oh well.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Since there's not going to be an *** in my passenger seat at OSCAR, I decided to get some cheap covers to keep the mud off. I picked up two of these. They fit and look slightly better than a trash bag and are less effective, but they were only $9 bucks each....
20170412_210645_001_zpsx7cmjvfg.jpg
20170412_210337_zpsh3lrj4y6.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
6/4/17
Finally got around to cleaning the jeep up a little after Harlan, and get a better look at the damage.

Corners would have been nice earlier, so now plan is to straighten them as much as possible and cover with armor. Guess I need to start looking at my options.

I think my exogate is slightly tweaked too...

Rail bed. Right corner got hung up on a rock. Left corner picked up some hitchhikers.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
7/1/17
I wouldn't last long at MAACO, but the fender is straight....er, the flare fits, and all the bare metal is covered with red paint. That'll do until I bend it again or I get corners.

7/6/17
The pictures were kind to it, it doesn't look that good in person. I started with a bottle jack on the inside of the crease and a 4lb sledge on the front. Then I moved to a smaller hammer and dolley. The flare took some heat to form back to its original shape.

I'm short one fender bolt and plastic nut. Anybody have those laying around?

7/21/17
20170721_220622.jpg

Took a little trip up to the NC/VA border today.

LM4 5.3 and 4l60e out of '04 Buick Rainier. This is the aluminum block version of the LM7 truck motor.

No planned timeline for install. I just felt that this was a good deal to have sitting around for the future.

I'll start another thread in the general section to document the process. I intend to document everything including costs and part numbers.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I bent the drag link at Windrock. I ordered a WFO concepts drag link gusset and picked up a new drag link, but the gusset hasn't come in. I'd much rather weld the gusset on with it on the bench, so I didn't want to put the new one on. But I needed to straighten it enough to do the toys for tots ride tomorrow.

The truck lending a tow hook.
20171117_193950.jpg
20171117_194002.jpg

This and a sledge moved it some, but it sprang back. I was able to get my ball joint c clamp in there and move it pretty good. I'm close enough to drive it tomorrow.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Also replaced my rear arb locker switch for the second time. It flew off on trail 15. Is this common? And why would you design a switch that is unusable without the cover?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So I joked last week about my OSCAR prep being checking the oil and charging the battery. I actually did have one little issue from Daniel Boone to fix. Because we were on the road so much, I left the sway bar connected. Either going into the cave or coming out, i flexed too much and the sway bar invented. It bound up, lost the pin, bent the link, and egged the upper bushing.

20180422_140035.jpg

A few minutes with the press and it's serviceable again.

20180422_141721.jpg

Then I went to move the jeep out of the corner and it barely turned over. I ordered and advance battery for in store pickup because it was the quickest option. Go up there and they don't actually have one. So, tomorrow night it will get a new battery.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
But, the most important part of OSCAR prep

20180415_105041.jpg

is ensuring I don't actually have to drive my jeep there again.

Last weekend I took a little road trip and bought my forever trailer. I spent some time yesterday and this morning getting it set up with shelving and loading my spare parts.

20180422_124616.jpg