Battery Replacement

I had great results from my Optima red top. It lasted 10 years in my YJ, initially as a DD, and later as a primarily offroad toy. The only reason it stopped working was a wiring issue randomly kicked on my lights and completely drained it dead. It will take a charge now but it won't hold it for more than a couple days if it sits. Pretty sure I killed it. My buddy had the same issue with a used optima he got from Interstate. Crappy radio that came with his CJ would kick on while the Jeep was off and kill his battery.

For price, I bought my replacement yellow top from Advance using a coupon code from Slickdeals for $50 off of $150. IIRC I was out the door for $147

I have had better luck with a yellow top. They seem to take more abuse as far as draining it alllllll the way down and then coming back up

I used to run optimas. I had a yellow top and a red top. As others can attest, I beat the soul out of those batteries. After 10 years, they gave up the ghost.

Replaced the dual batteries with one whatever auto parts store group 31 battery. Its been fine. It works and no issues. I'm done paying for expensive batteries. From now on I'm just going to put whatever in my truck. Its fine.

Same for my DD. Back in November of 2008, I took it to Advance and said, "Put the cheapest thing in there." Been fine ever since. If I keep this car (long story short, I'm thinking of replacing a bunch of crap on it...or getting rid of it, don't know yet) I'm going to go back to advance and tell them the EXACT same thing again. New battery, another 5 years of worry free use, and they get dirty so I don't have to. Win.

Autozone has the new Duralast Platinum AGM battery available. I have installed one in the TJ to go along with the new winch. My testers show it to be quite a beast, putting out about 20 percent more cca than it is rated for.

Autozone has the new Duralast Platinum AGM battery available. I have installed one in the TJ to go along with the new winch. My testers show it to be quite a beast, putting out about 20 percent more cca than it is rated for.
interesting, haven't heard anything about those yet. I'll have to check the price.

advance auto has an autocraft platinum battery now, after coupon code it is $130. Mine is done. I'll be getting something this weekend. Dont know if I want to risk it with a new optima. Nick can you get that deal on red tops too?

Yea thats what I have in the Yellow top although its in my wifes Jeep. I will be getting an optima before Oscar as well. I will get you a price shortly.

I ended up picking up an autocraft platinum for $130 with a coupon online. When I installed it it made me realize how bad my red top had been for the past year or so. Anytime I left it parked for more than a day it would barely start before. Now it fires up like its on crack. I went with advance because there is one in town and I can get it warrantied easily if I need to. The Red top had a date code of 3/07 on it, so I would say I got my 7 years out of it.

I work and an advance auto and I will tell you that if you have an electrical draw larger and the alternator amp output whatever battery you install will slowly die. Optimas are amazing and you should go with the yellow top dual purpose battery are great the autocraft platinum that we sell are just as great with the same warranty. Personally I have an 07 fj crusier and since I have plenty of extra space under the hood I have a dual battery setup a optima red top cranking battery straight to the starter and all other draws run off the yellow.

I'm running the advance platinum AGM battery in the jk and have been for a few months. With the online discount code it was fairly cheap 130ish. I am HARD on batteries. I killed a red top a year in my 40, and had better luck with a yellow so we will see how this one does. Tailgating at Clemson I ran the radio all day and had no issue starting. Haven't been able to turn my dash into a Christmas tree with the winch yet like I could with the oem battery.