46 Willys-Overland CJ-2A

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
More information on the cylinder bore size. Talked to a rep at Kaiser Willys and asked them why they sell rebuild kits for that engine but don't offer the 80 over pistons in the kit (only up to 60 over). But you can buy the 80 over pistons from them by themselves. He said that 80 over is pushing it in that engine and for that reason they don't offer them in the kit. I'm considering just having them all sleeved to 60 over, but we'll see what the engine shop says.

Well, the machine work has started. I got a call yesterday letting me know that they found a crack in the #1 cylinder. That is the one that the piston was seized in and me and my dad had to beat it out. But they said that the other 3 bored out clean to 80 over and he can get a sleeve for the front one locally (in stock). So he is going to go ahead and sleeve it and continue the machine work. The crank is out a another engine shop getting ground. I will need to get a new crank. I should have all the information I need within a week to start ordering parts.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We have decided to sleeve all 4 cylinders back to stock size. I see I made a typo in the previous post. I will need a new cam, not crank. Still waiting for the crank to be finished so we can get bearing sizes. Good thing I'm in no hurry.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My dad and brother are coming into town this weekend and I have put the Willys in the center of the shop ready for their arrival. I have ordered and received a new second gear for the transmission and a rebuild kit. I am hoping to take care of the trans and pull the rest of the drivetrain (both axles) for inspection while they are here. The 3 of us should make quick work of it. The only problem is that once that is done, it is now in the middle of my shop .... stranded. But we'll see.

But, for those that aren't attached to me on facebook, here is the beauty that delayed the Willys.

6036C004-F526-45ED-B960-3F24E2F2841B_zpsj4jfnth2.JPG

I needed a truck and my wife would not let me get anything but a classic. So it took me a bit to get her on the road but it's great to have a truck again.

Back to the Willys.

Last edited:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
That's funny. Yep, I have her in town this week. Drove it two hours from charlotte this morning. It did well on the interstate running between 55 and 60. Brought it in town for a car show on Saturday. You must have seen me on the way back from the post office.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So...... After over a year sitting at the shop, I regret telling the guy that I was in no hurry. So I went and picked it back up last week. The only thing that was done to it was the crank was ground and the block and head was checked for cracks. That's it. At the moment, all of it went on the shelf. I just received all the parts to go through the transmission and transfer case. Going to do that and then decide what is next. I may not be able to work in the shop for a while soon, so who knows at the moment.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well, back to it (kind of). First off, I went back through this thread and fixed any of the pictures that had disappeared. Seems the forum lost some of them during upgrades or something. Luckily I had them all locally.

I talked with Cole at Clemson 4 Wheel to see if he knew any reputable machine shops to work on the Willys engine. He gave me a small list and I looked them up. Went with D&S Automotive Machine Works in Easley. Called and got it put on the list. There are 22 engines ahead of me. He said he would call me 3 - 4 weeks ahead of when he would be ready for it to give me time to get everything to him. I'm assuming I'm 8 months or so out. We'll see.

Last weekend I went through the shelves and found everything I have and inventoried it. I have everything the shop will need. I put it all on a little wagon ready to be loaded. Except all the hardware and internal pieces. I want to go ahead and clean it all to make it quicker for the shop. Also, I want to inspect everything to make sure I don't need to replace anything. I would hate to wait this long just to find out I don't have everything needed.

I also pulled all the parts to rebuild the transmission. That is back on the workbench and on the list of projects to be tackled soon.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
OK, well, I have been waiting on D&S to call me to let me know that it was time to take the engine in to get it machined. Now that it is 11 months in, I figured I would call and check in. All I get is a voicemail box that is a guy's name, not the business and the mailbox is full. Not a good sign. I guess I'll call one of the others to see how long it will take to get in there.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Called Newton Performance in Williamston, same situation. Full mailbox. Then left a message for Durham's Machine Shop (even though the voicemail said something like Pro Performance, or something like that).

Its a bit of a ride for you, around 1.5 hours, but call Moore Engines in Kinards SC.. Stand up guy who works from a shop behind his house. He has been my go to for engine stuff for years..