Trailer Shenanigans in SC...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
No tag, no title. I contacted DMV when I git the trailer I have now. No tag is required on a trailer under 2,600 lbs I think was the number. I was also told that since its not required in SC you shouldn't get fined for it. You could get pulled over, then when they see you are from sc and you explain sc law, there shouldn't be a problem. I've pulled all over the south east, had cops and transit police riding beside or behind me and never been pulled. I think having an SC tag on the rig on the trailer helps because they see where you're from.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
You are actually required to meet what ever state your driving throughs regulations. It really comes down to the cop pulling you over. If he's had a bad day he might write a ticket for it, but usually you can get out of it if you explain its not required in your state. Now if DOT pulls you it may be harder.
I don't believe this true. If you drive in NJ do you have to put a front license plate on your vehicle? No, because it's not required in your state.

straight from SC code of laws 1976 as ammended... http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t56c003.php

SECTION 56-3-130. Exemption of certain boat, farm and other utility trailers.

Boat trailers under twenty-five hundred pounds, farm trailers and other utility trailers which are privately owned and not for hire need not be licensed or registered.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-35.4; 1952 Code Section 46-35; 1949 (46) 342; 1959 (51) 391; 1973 (58) 3

Basically states that if its a privately owned trailer, no weight limit, and is not used for a business or any means of making money, then it is not required... I work for the local PD, and this came straight out of the SC Traffic Law statue book. I then looked it up online and posted the link for ya!

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
straight from SC code of laws 1976 as ammended... http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t56c003.php

Boat trailers under twenty-five hundred pounds, farm trailers and other utility trailers which are privately owned and not for hire need not be licensed or registered.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-35.4; 1952 Code Section 46-35; 1949 (46) 342; 1959 (51) 391; 1973 (58) 3

Basically states that if its a privately owned trailer, no weight limit, and is not used for a business or any means of making money, then it is not required... I work for the local PD, and this came straight out of the SC Traffic Law statue book. I then looked it up online and posted the link for ya!
Thanks. That's basically what I was told when I called.

01tj

Thanks for the clarification David!

No problem guys, and if ya are worried about getting ticketed out of state, just print that page and place it in your glove box with your registration and stuff. May come in handy one day trying to explain it to the Tennessee State Transport Police!

I have read that section, and I agree that that would be applicable for a trailer in SC, but there are instances online of others being ticketed for not being tagged in other states with a trailer from SC. So Can I be ticketed for having an untagged trailer in NC if the towing vehicle is tagged in SC? That is my question, because evidently its happened.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
A couple of years ago I talked to someone at NC DMV and was told that I shouldn't have any problems. I think it would depend on the officer, but if they ticketed you and you went to traffic court it should get dropped. Depending on where it happened getting to court might cost you mire than a fine though...

I think this section clears it up...

SECTION 56-3-400. Reciprocity in registration and licensing of automobile utility trailers; "automobile utility trailer" defined.

The term "automobile utility trailer" when used in Sections 56-3-400 to 56-3-420 shall mean and include any trailers suitable for towing by a private passenger automobile, the use of which is confined to the private hauling of personal property for intrastate or interstate use, or combined intrastate and interstate use. The term "automobile utility trailer" shall not include trailers or semitrailers rented or leased to any person for use by such lessee in the furtherance of or as an incident to any commercial or industrial enterprise in interstate commerce or for the use in connection with any business or occupation carried on in interstate commerce by the lessee.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-97; 1957 (50) 551.

I think that is stating that it can be used for interstate use

I think this section clears it up...

SECTION 56-3-400. Reciprocity in registration and licensing of automobile utility trailers; "automobile utility trailer" defined.

The term "automobile utility trailer" when used in Sections 56-3-400 to 56-3-420 shall mean and include any trailers suitable for towing by a private passenger automobile, the use of which is confined to the private hauling of personal property for intrastate or interstate use, or combined intrastate and interstate use. The term "automobile utility trailer" shall not include trailers or semitrailers rented or leased to any person for use by such lessee in the furtherance of or as an incident to any commercial or industrial enterprise in interstate commerce or for the use in connection with any business or occupation carried on in interstate commerce by the lessee.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-97; 1957 (50) 551.

I think that is stating that it can be used for interstate use

Yup, i was looking for that section a few min ago but got busy writing tickets... but as long as you prove you are from SC the ticket will never stand in court. The trailer is an extension of the vehicle when it is attached. If the vehicle is registered in SC, then the trailer falls under sc law... If the vehicle is registered in NC, then it has to have a trailer tag...

Here is is from NC code of law, the very first one..... http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-51.html

The following shall be exempt from the requirement of registration and certificate of title:
(1) Any such vehicle driven or moved upon a highway in conformance with the provisions of this Article relating to manufacturers, dealers, or nonresidents.

So that basically states that "non residents" do not have to have a NC tag on their trailer... Which states that it falls under the Origin states laws... So if SC doesn't require you to have a tag, then NC won't either as long as you are not a resident...

BUT, some a s s hole could still try to write you a ticket... but it will be dropped promptly upon talking to any judge on the phone even...

Yup, i was looking for that section a few min ago but got busy writing tickets... but as long as you prove you are from SC the ticket will never stand in court. The trailer is an extension of the vehicle when it is attached. If the vehicle is registered in SC, then the trailer falls under sc law... If the vehicle is registered in NC, then it has to have a trailer tag...

Here is is from NC code of law, the very first one..... http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-51.html

The following shall be exempt from the requirement of registration and certificate of title:
(1) Any such vehicle driven or moved upon a highway in conformance with the provisions of this Article relating to manufacturers, dealers, or nonresidents.

So that basically states that "non residents" do not have to have a NC tag on their trailer... Which states that it falls under the Origin states laws... So if SC doesn't require you to have a tag, then NC won't either as long as you are not a resident...

BUT, some a s s hole could still try to write you a ticket... but it will be dropped promptly upon talking to any judge on the phone even...
Thanks guys, I printed both of those out and plan to keep it with my jeep registration in the glove box.

I like the idea of printing out the code that you want to reference to show the officer. If you get a ticket worry about it after you get home and appeal it then. Show good intent of trying to abide by the law.

I like the idea of printing out the code that you want to reference to show the officer. If you get a ticket worry about it after you get home and appeal it then. Show good intent of trying to abide by the law.
I would like to avoid getting a ticket at all, so that I dont have to go back up to NC to go to court.

Forgot to update this, Drove all over the coast of NC and another trip to Western NC with no problems. But I'll keep that info in my glove box just in case.