Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: handmade tools

City
    Anderson
    State
    sc
    I would like to buy or make some accessories for my porta band. Basically be able to turn it into a stationary table top vertical band saw and/or a hinge chop saw.

Anyone build mounts for theirs or buy ones at a reasonable cost?

City
    Fort Worth
    State
    TX

Use mine all the time. Wasn't super hard to make, but the swag one is worth the money. The fact you can go back to using it as a portable saw without tools makes a huge difference. On that note to make mine, I just pulled the blade guard off, and clamped it down then transfer punched the pattern. Used a cut off wheel to cut the blade slot.

City
    greenville
    State
    SC
    I bought the swag one...pretty simple and easy to use...it was worth it to just buy it IMO

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

City
    augusta
    State
    GA
    I just built a mount for my HF saw this weekend. For the money this saw has been great and still working fine after probably 5 years now. I find the vertical setup to be the most useful so that's what I wanted. My buddy has a Dewalt in the Swag stand and it works great.

I put this together with about 1' of angle iron, and about 2' of 2" flat stock I pulled out of a scrap pile. Cost was $0 and a few hours of figuring out how to make what I wanted out of what I had.

I've seen a few other vertical mounts made with square tube bases and hung from the handle bolts like that horizontal mount above (google image search). I didn't have material for that and worked out this option. Mounts with 2 of the bottom cover bolts and through the handle. Looks sort of hack, and it sort of is being I was working with scraps, but it works and its solid.

City
    augusta
    State
    GA
    Got some more pics of the mount I made The table and the base are separate. The saw bolts in at 3 points using original bolt holes, though I did drill the hole in the handle out to 1/4". The table bolts to the original guide mounts.

table

The ugly welds were done w/ a stick welder after we ran out of gas in my buddy's mig. I had 1/2 of it already done so he just finished it off with the buzz box.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
    Got some more pics of the mount I made The table and the base are separate. The saw bolts in at 3 points using original bolt holes, though I did drill the hole in the handle out to 1/4". The table bolts to the original guide mounts.

table

The ugly welds were done w/ a stick welder after we ran out of gas in my buddy's mig. I had 1/2 of it already done so he just finished it off with the buzz box.
    nice work on that mount!
    --Brooks

City
    Boulder
    State
    CO
    Quote Originally Posted by meaders View Post
    Jon here from HomemadeTools.net.

I know this thread is an old one, but thanks for the mention

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

http://download.homemadetools.net/50MustReadTools.pdf

City
    Boulder
    State
    CO
    Hey guys - we have a new ebook out: How to Make a Belt Sander. 100% free of course. Click the graphic below to check it out:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12