handmade tools

I still use the punch, cold chisel, and dust pan I made in AGM205 from my sophomore year at Clemson. Works like a champ. We made wooden handled screwdrivers too, but that one has been lost for a while.

the tool cage at school is full of funky bent and ground down wrenches my instructors made and lots of other specialty tools the engineerin dept. made for use

I still use the punch, cold chisel, and dust pan I made in AGM205 from my sophomore year at Clemson. Works like a champ. We made wooden handled screwdrivers too, but that one has been lost for a while.
Heck yeah I still got mine. My dad stole the screwdriver from me. But that is fine since mine looked like crap.

I have several home grown pry bars, and punches. Until i got relieved of it, I had a home made so or lift jack I made using an old airbag. It was real skinny on the lift end to fit under my low rider.
I made a post hole digger with some pipe a valve and hook it to the water hose. It got lost in the last move.
I have made all sorts of strange stuff over the years.

Once I get my scrap steel supply back up I'll be building my own tire bead popper. Very simple actually. Problem with the store bought ones is they only work on a tire up to a 33". I'll make one for up to a 44".

I would like to buy or make some accessories for my porta band. Basically be able to turn it into a stationary table top vertical band saw and/or a hinge chop saw.

Anyone build mounts for theirs or buy ones at a reasonable cost?

f81096d8.jpg

Use mine all the time. Wasn't super hard to make, but the swag one is worth the money. The fact you can go back to using it as a portable saw without tools makes a huge difference. On that note to make mine, I just pulled the blade guard off, and clamped it down then transfer punched the pattern. Used a cut off wheel to cut the blade slot.

I just built a mount for my HF saw this weekend. For the money this saw has been great and still working fine after probably 5 years now. I find the vertical setup to be the most useful so that's what I wanted. My buddy has a Dewalt in the Swag stand and it works great.

I put this together with about 1' of angle iron, and about 2' of 2" flat stock I pulled out of a scrap pile. Cost was $0 and a few hours of figuring out how to make what I wanted out of what I had.

I've seen a few other vertical mounts made with square tube bases and hung from the handle bolts like that horizontal mount above (google image search). I didn't have material for that and worked out this option. Mounts with 2 of the bottom cover bolts and through the handle. Looks sort of hack, and it sort of is being I was working with scraps, but it works and its solid.

Got some more pics of the mount I made The table and the base are separate. The saw bolts in at 3 points using original bolt holes, though I did drill the hole in the handle out to 1/4". The table bolts to the original guide mounts.

table

The ugly welds were done w/ a stick welder after we ran out of gas in my buddy's mig. I had 1/2 of it already done so he just finished it off with the buzz box.

Got some more pics of the mount I made The table and the base are separate. The saw bolts in at 3 points using original bolt holes, though I did drill the hole in the handle out to 1/4". The table bolts to the original guide mounts.

table

The ugly welds were done w/ a stick welder after we ran out of gas in my buddy's mig. I had 1/2 of it already done so he just finished it off with the buzz box.
nice work on that mount!