Off Road Trailer

I'm just lucky. The axle width was spot on. I just have to make some spring mounts now and start the body. I already wired up the trailer to keep from having to do it later. It's down to mounting the axle, building the body, and installing the lights.

Made some progress this weekend.
I got the axle mounted.
1eb551a7.jpg
Built the frame for the box body, cleaned the hubs/bearings. Wheels are on.
8593e1b2.jpg
Installed the tail lights.
536baac8.jpg
Installed the tongue, and primed it all up. Then gave her some fresh air.
21992ab1.jpg
Now I have to cut the wood for the box, seal it all up, add my brackets to carry fuel and water, then she will be ready for Harlan!

I put my first coat of sealer on the wood tonight, and I'll do another coat tomorrow. I should have the box pieces ready to assemble by the end of the week. Once I assemble it, I'll install the interior lights and reverse light.

My plans are for it to hold my 120qt cooler, 2big action packer boxes, some ammo cans with tools ect.., and all the camping gear. I may have to add my jerry can mounts later. That's not a necessity for now.

So I got the second coat of sealer on & dry. I installed the floor, and front wall this evening. I put a bead of silicone around the frame work, then installed the wall with another bead of silicone around the seam. The sides will be done the same way.
BTW: I had a gallon of husky liner I used as a sealer for the wood. It's not bad, but leaves a hard rough surface. It sucks in comparison to dupicolor liner!
When I build another one I'll allow for GR8TOP's to line it for me!

0439724f.jpg

Last edited:
Had to step back and rethink how my top was gonna mount. Still working out details, but I think it's figured out.

Just to be clear.....
I'm a mechanic that moonlights as a fabricator. I'll never try another box body out of wood. It's steel, or aluminum from here on out! No more BS made of wood. If I totally screw up with steel, I just weld, grind, and start over. Wood gives ya one shot!