Bumper & Rockslider build

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Nice pics. Can you give us some sort of a write-up? What's the deal with the 2" receiver where the tire is going? Is that a texture paint on the rock sliders or something else?

The receiver is a quick release that was built with a plate and square tubing that inserts into the receiver part that you see. It is secured with 1 bolt. Pics coming in the morning. I forgot to take pics early with the bumper but it started out as 5x5 square tubing. Yes, it is a bedliner paint from a spray can.

I have no experience with the JK... are those rocker protectors? Ot just steps? From what I can tell it looks like they don't even connect to the frame. Is this common way to build them for JK's?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have no experience with the JK... are those rocker protectors? Ot just steps? From what I can tell it looks like they don't even connect to the frame. Is this common way to build them for JK's?
Yeh, good eye. I didn't even notice. That is a pretty nice setup to be just attached by a couple of tabs. With them like that, they aren't going to be doing much for ya. One bounce on the rocks will fold them right up on the body.

ChrisLoe's Next door neighbor chimming in here...Yes the JK Rubicon rockers attach to the body. The mounts have been gusseted and reinforced and they are very stout. You can use a highlift on them and they will take the full weight of the jeep with minimal deflection. We have already been discussing tying them into the body mounts to further improve there strength. His driving style is very easy going and combine that with what we have already done, they are working out just fine.

Yeh, good eye. I didn't even notice. That is a pretty nice setup to be just attached by a couple of tabs. With them like that, they aren't going to be doing much for ya. One bounce on the rocks will fold them right up on the body.
Before we reinforced the mounts it was just the opposite problem, you could put them on or against rocks all day with no issue. The problem became when you caught them under something they would pull down with little resistance. Again Trust me we both see the compromise but, again driving style coupled with continued improvement has yeilded a pretty tough rocker, for what it is.

Like I said no experience with the jk but I almost ripped one of mine off the xj at Harlan this summer. I'd like to see the under side of them mounted.

I'd say they work fine! Most rock sliders aren't mounted to much more that what you have, and the reinforcement you did to the stock tabs looks to do the job.