Outdoor Cooking: Dutch Oven

On our trip last week we cooked Pillsbury Biscuits for breakfast and they were super easy, we put tinfoil down so that when the biscuits were done we just lifted them out, it was great. We also made some frito pie which is chili, cheese, and fritos...mmmmmmm and we did some bbq porkchops that turned out great.

Attachments

tried out the biscuits again last weekend at the overland rally and fried up some country ham...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm country ham and egg biscuits at camp is AWESOME!!!

I've decided to pick up a Dutch Oven to start tinkering around with. What size do I need? I'll be cooking meals for two - probably two courses with the first being dinner and the second being a cobbler.

I would stick to a 10" deep, I can cook for 2-6 depending on the meal and the deep lets you cook breads. Also the deep 10" lets you cook 12" oven recipes in the 10" oven.

we made some kickass pizzas at windrock in the dutch ovens, but this weekend I think I topped it. We made calzones and they were truly awesome.

1 roll of Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough
pepperoni
mozzarella cheese
italian seasoning.
marinara sauce.

we just made it on a plate then sat it in the dutch oven and baked it till the top was all nice and crispy, then we sprinkled some cheese on top and melted it. I only got one pic of it an it was after we started to chow down...

Attachments

If you put it through the cleaning cycle of your oven you can reseason it and it will be good as new

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

made some jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven when we were at snowbird and it turned out really good!!!

super easy:

1 box jiffy
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

Mix and cook for 15 minutes.

I'm in Ohio hunting and forgot my grill, I must say the Dutch oven worked awsome for steaks. Got it really hot. Bout 5 min on both sides yielded medium rare rib eyes.

Well, we changed up the recipe of the black swamp pasta a bit and made it more user friendly for my 10" oven.

We used:

1 box rotini pasta
1 package pre sliced pepperoni
1 bag mazzarella cheese
1 bag pizza cheese
2 jars pizza sauce
1 lb ground beef
1 lb sausage
1 bag frozen peppers and onions

Cook the noodles in boiling water in separate pot.

brown meet in the dutch oven, drain, then return to oven

add frozen peppers and onions and let simmer 5 minutes

remove to plate.

Layer Pasta, meet, cheese, pepperoni and sauce as many times as possible, usually around 3 times.

cook for 25 minutes

Open, scoop, and enjoy!!!

I'm eating some of the leftovers for lunch today:grin:

Well finally got my scout cook book in the mail yesterday. Got the one you have brooks. Looks to be some good recipes in it though from my browsing. Looking forward to testing it out.