Outdoor Cooking: Dutch Oven

what size dutch oven and how long are you cooking it for?
Its a 12q, im not exactly sure of the time. Im gone do a trial run in the back yard this week. I post back up with pics and how many coals and used and how long I cook for. From what ive read each coal is ruffly 20 degrees so you calculate how many coals used to get your interanal temp.

yeah, I have a 10" oven so I usually have to tone down the coal numbers just a little. I would like to see how it turns out and I plan to try it after you post up.

Ive been thinking of building a platform/skirt on the trailer. I think the coals would last alot longer, then you could use less fuel. Kinda like an oven in an oven deal. And it could double as storing it.

I fired up the oven this past weekend, I used the recipe I stated earlier and man did it turn out awsome. With the weather in Harlan being cold and rainy it was really nice to rolll into camp and pull the lid off and eat.
Prob 30 pieces of charcoal, I set the oven inside a cheap grill to help hold heat so if we didnt get off the trail maybe it would help hold the heat in. We started it before we left camp prob around 11 and we came back prob an hour before dark and the chicken was falling apart. The coals were gone but the oven held enough heat that the food was still steaming when I pulled the lid off. AAAA+ meal IMHO.

thats good to hear, I'll have to try that one next time.

We made 3 meals in the oven while we were out this past weekend, By the way, we passed Whiten and a TJ buggy in Erwin on our way to air up and get gas sunday. We had just gotten off the trail.

here are the three we made, the Concho chicken and black swamp pasta were the best, but 2 can was good as well

FRIDAY NIGHT
Two Can Jambalaya
__2 Cans (10oz. each) diced tomatoes
__2 Cans (10.5 oz. each) condensed French onion soup
__2 Cans (10.5 oz. each) concentrated beef consommé
__2 Cans (about 1 lb) white rice
__2 Cans (about 1lb) cubed smoked sausage
__½ cup butter

Black Swamp Pasta (baked pizza pasta)
__1lb ground beef or sausage
__1.5 (16 oz) boxes Rotini (corkscrew pasta)
__3 (14oz) cans Pizza sauce
__2 (3 oz) packages pre sliced pepperoni
__1 bell pepper (diced)
__1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms
__2 (16 oz) packages shredded mozzarella cheese

SATURDAY NIGHT
Concho Valley Chicken (served in tortillas like a Cajun burrito)
__1 tbs vegetable oil
__4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
__2 green bell peppers
__1 medium onion
__Paprika, salt, black pepper, Creole Cajun seasoning (to taste)
__1 Large onion
__1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
__1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
__1 (32 oz.) container chicken broth
__1 (14 oz.) box Kraft minute rice
__2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
__1 package Flour tortillas

That was me, we saw yall go by. Even was parked out by the road, he used Clippas gooseneck and camper. Dj, Boomer and Chad was with us also, Dj tried to call ya I think.

CIMG0206.jpg
CIMG0207.jpg
CIMG0208.jpg
IMG]http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae76/rti1300/CIMG0210.jpg[/IMG]

I ended up putting more coal on than that, I think setting it in the grill was really important to keep the coal from burning up so quick.

I made the pizza pasta recipe again last weekend, and it was Awesome, I did learn that you can NOT have to much cheese in it. It was really good, probably one of my favorites.

Pat made a really good Frito chili in his that kept us warm on sat night.

Welp the rents got me a lodge 12 (8qt) for my birthday. Havent had a chance to do anything yet but i plan on cooking in it this weekend and try some things out. Saw a couple simple recipes in the manual that it came with and saw a few online, plan on getting lodge's book from dick's this wkd maybe. Anyone have any recipe ideas for a first timer?

Welp the rents got me a lodge 12 (8qt) for my birthday. Havent had a chance to do anything yet but i plan on cooking in it this weekend and try some things out. Saw a couple simple recipes in the manual that it came with and saw a few online, plan on getting lodge's book from dick's this wkd maybe. Anyone have any recipe ideas for a first timer?
Two Can Jambalaya
__2 Cans (10oz. each) diced tomatoes
__2 Cans (10.5 oz. each) condensed French onion soup
__2 Cans (10.5 oz. each) concentrated beef consommé
__2 Cans (about 1 lb) white rice
__2 Cans (about 1lb) cubed smoked sausage
__½ cup butter

and We got this book and it has tons of great recipes for camp cooking, not just dutch ovens. I picked up my copy from sportsmans warehouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Scouts-Outdoor-Cookbook-Falcon-Guide/dp/0762740671