Outdoor Cooking: Dutch Oven

No Dutch oven here, just a Coleman dual fuel stove, and a small propane grill.
I do stuff that's easy. Eggs&grits for breakfast, dogs for lunch, and mac&cheese with dogs for dinner. Plenty of ramen noodles, canned soup, ect.

So what's some recipes for Harlan? I'm gonna do a breakfast casserole and my usual one night.
I'll probably do a breakfast casserole one morning, we made a great one at hotsprings that I would like to do again.

I figure I'll probably do something for dinner one night too, but havent decided what yet.

I'll have mine and dean will have his too. Been looking up recipes to try. Dean was saying he wanted to make a breakfast casserole and also his chicken potatoes and corn mix up.

I was goin thru the freezer last night and saw some deer tenderloins I've been saving for the smoke. I'm thinking I'm gone toss um in the Dutch oven for about 10 hours while we are gone on the trails.
4 tenderloins marinated in italian dressing
1 bottle of zesty Italian
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
Couple cans of Bushes grilling beans

I was goin thru the freezer last night and saw some deer tenderloins I've been saving for the smoke. I'm thinking I'm gone toss um in the Dutch oven for about 10 hours while we are gone on the trails.
4 tenderloins marinated in italian dressing
1 bottle of zesty Italian
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
Couple cans of Bushes grilling beans
Sounds Tasty for sure. I need to look into some new recipes.

I love some deer tenderloin. I'll see if I can snag some up from my boss man who should still have about 200 lbs in his freezer from around Christmas time.

thinking about trying this one night

Fiesta Chicken With Black Beans
2 (15 oz.) cans corn; drained
3 Tbs. ground cumin
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans; drained
2 Tbs. chili powder
2 yellow onions; halved and thinly sliced
2 tsp. salt (to taste)
2 green bell peppers; cut in strips
1-2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper (to taste)
6 cloves garlic; minced
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves; cut in strips
1 (30 oz.) can whole tomatoes; drained and chopped
2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
1 lb. pepper jack cheese; grated
1 (8 oz.) can diced green chiles; drained
2 lb. cheddar cheese; grated

In a 12" Dutch oven combine corn, black beans, onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, chiles, cumin, chili powser, salt and black pepper; stir to mix well. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Season chicken with Emeril's Southwest Spice then add to Dutch oven contents; stir to mix in. Cover oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until chicken is cooked thru and no longer pink. Spread cheese over top replace lid and bake for 5 additional minutes until cheese has melted.

Serve with warmed flour tortillas or over rice.

The fiesta Chicken was kick ***!! I actually ate some left overs for dinner sunday.

Deano, how were the tenderloins? I never made it over to try them out.

The fiesta Chicken was kick ***!! I actually ate some left overs for dinner sunday.

Deano, how were the tenderloins? I never made it over to try them out.
Worst meal I've cooked yet, the tenderloins dried out bad, I overcook everything. When I was putting the charcoal in I knew it was to much, I figured I had enough fluids in the keep everything moist. I'm fixin to build me an ugly drum smoker mounted on a recover hitch. That way I can put it on the dodge for canoe trips on on the trailer for wheeling trips.

Worst meal I've cooked yet, the tenderloins dried out bad, I overcook everything. When I was putting the charcoal in I knew it was to much, I figured I had enough fluids in the keep everything moist. I'm fixin to build me an ugly drum smoker mounted on a recover hitch. That way I can put it on the dodge for canoe trips on on the trailer for wheeling trips.
dam, hate to hear that. The ugly drum smokers are awesome, thats what we did the BBQ this weekend in. I'm really impressed with how well they hold the temps. Mine held 200-225 from 10am-5pm with no touching. it had dropped to 190 by 6:00 when I shut it down.

de8ba5b8.jpg

This is what I do my smoking on at home so I'm alittle better BBQ,n. I've been failing with the Dutch oven the last few times. I like l to let it sit about 190. I think the natural lump charcoal does better than the kingsford stuff, better flavor to me.

de8ba5b8.jpg

This is what I do my smoking on at home so I'm alittle better BBQ,n. I've been failing with the Dutch oven the last few times. I like l to let it sit about 190. I think the natural lump charcoal does better than the kingsford stuff, better flavor to me.
yeah, i started using lump for my smoker and grill at home, only use the kingsford stuff for the Dutch oven now.

Old man told me when I first got my Dutch oven to only use lump coal. I've cooked pizzas a couple times lately that turned out good. Haven't tried anything in my scouts book, took it to Harlan but didn't even get it out the truck.

Dean, let me know when you build a smoker, I'd like to build one with you. Been smoking a lot of stuff lately and would like something that's not an electric smoker. That BBQ sat was amazing from that thing.

Old man told me when I first got my Dutch oven to only use lump coal. I've cooked pizzas a couple times lately that turned out good. Haven't tried anything in my scouts book, took it to Harlan but didn't even get it out the truck.

Dean, let me know when you build a smoker, I'd like to build one with you. Been smoking a lot of stuff lately and would like something that's not an electric smoker. That BBQ sat was amazing from that thing.
kingsford brickets are easier to use for the Dutch oven because you can regulate heat by the number of coals you use. Its alot easier to burn the food or not get it hot enough if you use lump on the DO.

I usually use whatever I can find but have used lump successfully. I check it often while cooking and go off that. I try to go with the number of coals but use it more of a guideline then a set in stone necessity.

What and how did you cook that BBQ?

rub the meet with bbq rub, dont have the recipe on hand here. inject with apple juice and apple cider vinegar, refrigerate overnight, or in our case for 3 days in the engel cooler. Put it in the smoker with some pecan and hickory wood on the lump charcoal. cook for 4 hours, then wrap in foil, then cook for 4-5 more hours. Then close vents on smoker to put the fire out and hold the remaining heat. Let rest for 1 hour, open foil, pull out bone, remove any extra fat left, pull with two forks, put on bun, NOM NOM NOM.