M416 Trailer Build

Its in fairly good shape just has dented up fenders, someone hacked a rear tailgate out of the back (which i didnt know wasnt suppose to be there until i saw brooks at uwharrie) has a crappy rear bumper too. I'll snap some pics when i go home for break. My dad got the inside of it linex'd a couple years ago and the outside painted black. Has a regular hitch on it now, which when hauling with my truck it sits funny with nose in the air. Theres definitely some things that need attention on it.

Brooks, i know at some point you were talking abour running a RTT on it, what kind were you looking at?

Looking at getting a mombasa from Steve @ Southeast Overland You can do local pickup and save on some of the huge shipping fees from california.

CLICK HERE FOR RTT

Those things are bad ***....Whats the weight limit? Bein a big guy...I gotta think about that stuff :)

Picking up my trailer today...has a civilian hitch on it, but figure that can be changed down the road :) Other than that, its straight, and just needs a paint job :)

Line the inside of it?

Let me know if you an to spray/seal the inside of the trailer or the lid with our Armadillo Liner. Would seal it up from the inside from rust and also just provide a bit of non skid surface on it. The stuff we spray does have a little bit more of a rubbery feel to it that helps stuff stay put a bit more than linex or rhino.

Last edited:
Let me know if you an to spray/seal the inside of the trailer or the lid with our Armadillo Liner. Would seal it up from the inside from rust and also just provide a bit of non skid surface on it. The stuff we spray does have a little bit more of a rubbery feel to it that helps stuff stay put a bit more than linex or rhino.
email sent

Last edited by a moderator:
Those things are bad ***....Whats the weight limit? Bein a big guy...I gotta think about that stuff :)
You asking about the RTT? I am a big guy too and was a little worried about that but it is pretty solid. My tent is mounted a little lower than most roofs so the ladder isn't fully extended and the two sections are overlapping more so that's even better. On the Mombasas the platform is a aluminum skin with a some sort of honeycomb core. I have only had the chance to camp in it a couple of times so far but it is the $hit. Pull up, flop it open and you are pretty much ready to go. All your bedding is inside so all you have to do is crawl inside. I even keep a LED lantern hanging in there. Only thing better would be a RTT on a trailer. :smokin:

I got my m416 tonight....it was an old forestry commission rig that still had the 100 gallon fuel tank bolted to it...pulled that off tonight. Any interest in it? Pic to follow tomorrow...

Hey you might want to look at U-Pol Raptor to spray for the inside of the tube. Under the fender wells and under the tube. I want to do my m416, m100 and bantam trailers with it this summer.

I did the inside of my jeep tub trailer with the raptor liner, I wasnt impressed with its ability to hold up to repeated abuse that a trailer sees, for the inside of a jeep it works well.

Mine is a long way from done. I am looking for a loacl media blaster this week. I am gonna get that done asap. Costs more, but saves a butt load of time, and ends up with a nicer final product.

The prep work on the tub took about 5 hours or so. I did it over a couple of days. Removed all the seats and brackets, taped off the dash, the airbag control unit and the pedals, and started scuffing on Friday, Saturday I cleaned it out and dried it, Sunday I sprayed, and sunday night I put it back together. I only used 2 bottled of raptor, and highly recommend you use at least three. four sounds like overkill, but I think it would be better served to do it and be done with it.

I dont have any pics right now of the liner...I actually put the carpet back in to control heat and road noise. I mainly did the liner to protect the tub from rusting under the carpet so it will last a long time....

I was planning on using the Raptor liner I used on my TJ tub....how does the Armadillo Liner compare in price and quality?
Sorry, took so long to reply. Any 2 part urathane based bedliner system that mixes at the tip will be better than the off the shelf/do it yourself ones that come premixed. Having said that, most all of the brands are urethane based. Armadillo liner has a bit more of a gripp to it than rhino and a little bit more than Linex. Having said that, I'm not gonna sit here and pick apart one brand against another because to be honest, they are all almost about the same base chemicals and they tweak a few specific ones between all the different brands. Bedliners is much like auto body work, there is a somewhat of a factor of what quality of paint/bedliner you use but the biggest determining factor of how well a bed comes out on a truck or whatever your are spraying is your prep work. You can have the best bedliner product (but if you don't prep/scuff and clean well) its all to waste.

Having said all that, I really do like the armadillo liner specifically inside jeeps and trailers because it does have a grip factor to it and helps stuff from sliding around a bit more than the other brands.

I'll throw this into the discussion while we are at it. Many people have a misconception about a jeep and spraying it with bedliner. The misconception is that it is a lot smaller surface area/more compact than a truck bed and therefore should cost less. Not true on several fronts. I'll be flat honest, spraying a jeep is just not fun compared to a truck. It takes about 3 times as long to do everything.

a. you have to remove everything from the interior - seats, seat belts, console, brackets and yes the rollbar (will get on my soap box about that later)
b. clean/scuff - angles/cracks/crevices are much harder to clean and prep than an open surface area like a truck.
c. taping up - the tub lines on the door openings, and covering the dash etc are much more time consuming than a straight line down the bedrail of a jeep - taping up/plugging all threaded seat holes etc
d. angling the gun while you are spraying to ensure you get coverage in all the angles/cracks/crevices is much more challenging than a open truck bed
e. spraying - it seems like a small amount of surface area but its really not when you account for the angles and all the seams you have to make sure there is coverage in all needed places
f. reassembly - reinstalling the seats, seat belts, carpet, console etc

Brooks Pm'd you a quote for the trailer..

Let us know if you got any other questions..

I used Al's liner in the buggy from a place there in Columbia. Lee transport had it in stock and even had the gun. You could just use a drywall gun from HF though as my gun had Central Pnumatic stickers on it. It is multipart that you mix. You can even use normal automotive tints in it to make it match your color. I paid $100 a gallon and a jeep tub will easily use 2 gallons.