WolfGT 02 TJ

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
stock caster is around 6* so I would think that the spring perch would be horizontal at full bump unless I'm missing something? maybe try rocking it forward to 5* and see if it gets any better.
Woops, I said that wrong. The pucks are leaning forward, not back.

the easiest way to get that bushing out is to put a torch to it, then cut out the metal sleeve with a saw-zall. even if its a little tiny torch running off a screw on propane tank it will get the job done. but how you did it works too greg. everything looks great so far! :cheers:
Have you done this before? It is for sure not the easiest way.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Finally made some good progress on the Jeep today. Should have it all back together tomorrow except for the yoke. I think I'm going to take it somewhere next week and have someone replace that.

But I went and got me the proper tool for the job ($8 at Home Depot) and found that using the phone for measuring caster is not the way to go. As you can see, it was WAY off (like 1 or 2 degrees the wrong way).

WP_20121229_003.jpg

I didn't take a lot of pictures during all of this but here is what I did. I needed to get the new track bar mounted first. But I needed to drill out the frame side mount (5/8" hole), but, I couldn't get the drill in there because the tie rod was in the way. I needed to remove the tie rod anyway so I could replace the bent rod end, but to remove my tie rod you need to take one end of the drag link off (geez). But once all that was done, I drilled the hole for the track bar. Then put the front tires back on so I could center the axle. Once I centered the axle, I adjusted the track bar to the proper length to maintain that position and tightened it up. Once it was all tight, I put the diff cover back on and raised the axle to full bump to see if the track bar hit the cover. Nope.

WP_20121229_052.jpg

Then I took the tie rod apart and replaced the ends. Here are the ones I pulled off.

WP_20121229_050.jpg

While I had it off I figured I would clean it up and hit it with some paint (had to use a file on some spots it was so bad).

WP_20121229_051.jpg

I put the tie rod back on and tightened everything back up. Then it was time to get the caster right. I took the lower control arms off and lengthened them 5 full turns, put them back on and it moved about half as far as I needed. So I did another 5 turns each. That nailed it right on at 6 degrees.

Time to burn on the new upper control arm bracket. But there is an issue (of course). I cut the top of the stock bracket off as instructed and slid the new bracket inside of the remaining stock bracket. You are supposed to be able to weld the front edge of the bracket (1 inch worth) to the tube. But the front edge of the bracket was no where near the tube. It stuck out about a half inch. There was no way to weld it that way. So, after trying to figure out what to do, I had two options. Cut the back of the stock bracket out so I could slide the new bracket completely through the bracket, or modify the new bracket. I figured I would loose strength if I cut the stock bracket any more. So I modified the new bracket.

As you can see, I notched the bracket where it was hitting the back of the stock bracket. This allows it to sit in its intended position without loosing any strength. And also putting the front edge in it's proper position for welding. Here it is after cutting. I test fitted it this way. Once I found that it fit like it was supposed to, I smoothed it out.

WP_20121229_053.jpg

And here it is smoothed out.

WP_20121229_054.jpg

Here she is welded up.

WP_20121229_055.jpg

WP_20121229_056.jpg

WP_20121229_057.jpg

Tomorrow I will put the springs, shocks and tires back on. Hopefully it will be decent and I can get it cleaned up too. We'll see.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Picked up a Waggy Dana 44 and miscellaneous parts for the front. Plan to slowly build it up over the next 6 months and then over the winter install it, long arm, stretch and move to 37's.

Are you still planning to drive to the trail? I wouldn't go 37s if you do that. It's pretty hard to break that set up on 35s. 37s you will probably break it.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I think it will be fine. Chromos all around and spares. The first thing to go should be u-joints in the front. But we'll see.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Some bling showed up for the Jeep today.

WP_20130628_002.jpg

Now waiting for the liner from SEO and the new bracket to mount it all to. Should put it all on next week.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Whens your next trip?
When we going?

did you end up getting the stretched corners? or just the regular ones?
Just the regular ones for now. I really wanted to get the armor done and I kept putting it off to do the stretch. But once I figure that in, it was a snowball effect and the project was just too big and I kept putting it off. So, I'll do this for now and then work on the front axle, then the gas tank, then the stretch (maybe).