Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WolfGT 02 TJ

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    if your looking for ram mounts, I had good luck on amazon, they are cheaper than that cb place.

Ram111
    --Brooks

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Yes, that is a better price, but different than the one I got. The one you listed is 2" shorter. But still $7 cheaper than you can get that same model from Walcott (Link: RAMB111)
    This hobby begins as a search for the perfect setup, then gradually becomes the never ending discovery of the weakest link.
    Greg

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    After this happened:

I repaired the Jeep enough to drive it home from Gulches. Then it sat for 3 or 4 weeks. I didn't want to drive it because the right rear lower control arm was damaged and I didn't trust it. I ordered DOM and Johnny Joints from Barnes 4wd to upgrade the rear lowers.

I replaced the damaged lower with another stock piece for now until I weld up the new stuff.

This is what the damaged piece looked like

Here is the damaged one next to the replacement

Here is a shot of the mount at the frame for that control arm

Here is a shot of my oil pan skid plate. Showing a pretty good gouge which would have most likely been in my oil pan. So I'm happy about that purchase

This hobby begins as a search for the perfect setup, then gradually becomes the never ending discovery of the weakest link.
    Greg

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Here are a couple of shots of the damaged transmission mount after dropping the skid plate down

I had to hold up the drivetrain using the yoke on the back of the transfer case. I guess you normally support all of this using the oil pan but since I have a skid plate in the way and I didn't feel like removing it, this was my next option. This worked out well since the two skid plates are attached, they just hinged down in one big piece.

Here is a shot of the new mount next to the old damaged one

A closer shot of the damaged one (supposed to be one piece)

A closer shot of the new one ..... pretty

Then I went ahead and swapped the speedo gear so I can at least tell how fast I'm going. The small one was the stock one. The bigger one is the new one and it has 39 teeth.

Greg

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Other damage was my new shocks. They came with the Teraflex lift kit that is on the Jeep. I replaced them with some cheap shocks from Autozone. I do believe they are camaro shocks. Here is a picture of the damage. One bent and the other dented to the point that the piston is frozen in place.

Here is a shot of the boxes of the replacement shocks I put on just in case someone needs some cheap shocks for a Jeep with a 3" lift. It took me, JR and the nice guys at Autozone a good bit to find some with the right length and connectors.

And she is back in full operation. See y'all out there.
    Greg

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Finished building the new Rear Lower Control Arms. Here is what I did to build them. Parts came from Barnes 4WD.

Time to do some welding.

I tacked it in three spots around the tube to hold it in place.

Then I filled in between the tacks. But I only went about half way between each tack before stopping and quenching it to cool it down. I was afraid I was going to warp it and ruin the threads on the inserts. This is a picture after the first complete pass.

This is after the second pass. I didn't really do this one very good. Instead of doing two good beads around the joint to make one good layer, I snaked the bead back and forth and made one wide bead. Don't like the way it turned out.

Now after taking a week to think about it, I worked on the second one today. This is the first pass. This time I did not tack it, or do it in sections. I ran a bead as far as I could and then turned it to continue. Cleaned the slag and quenched it in the bucket.

This is the second pass (on the insert side of the first bead).

Then this is after the third pass.
    Last edited by WolfGT; 01-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Greg

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Did some quick grinding on them to get rid of the little booger balls and knock the weld down a little. Then hit them with some black primer.

Then hit them with two coats of Hammered Gray (matches my Teraflex coil springs).

This is what the spare stock LCA that Brooks gave me looks like after two trips.

And this is what the bushing looked like on the one that I thought was fine. I guess it took more damage during my Gulches incident than I thought.

The bushing just fell out when the LCA was removed.

I mounted them with the grease fittings pointing up. I didn't think they would last very long pointing down.
    All done!
    Greg

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    And now for a confession. I am proud of the way these turned out, but also embarrassed. Why? Since some very observant viewer is going to notice sooner or later anyway, I might as well confess. Somewhere during my trial fitting and preparation, I mixed up the inserts. Barnes 4WD marks their left hand thread inserts with a groove around the end. If you look closely, you will notice that I have one LCA with both right hand threads and the other with left. Woops. Not worth cutting them apart. I'll fix it when I go to long arms.
    Greg

CU Offroad Moderator cannonball's Avatar
    City
    irmo/clemson
    State
    SC
    great job! those jj's will treat you well at hush hole!

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I honestly think the mix up won't matter. Im def game for adjustability but I don't think it's necessary to have lowers with right hand on one end and left hand on other.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast