WolfGT 02 TJ

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
No, I moved out of there years ago. Got tired of the bums just wandering in. My shop is in Charlotte now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well, the jeep is fixed (for now). I thought I would do a video documenting the repair. It went a little long. This is my first video editing attempt. If you have some time, take a look.

[video=youtube_share;VBrcMn0lKbw]https://youtu.be/VBrcMn0lKbw[/video]

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Finally went through this thread and fixed all the broken pictures that were left by Photobucket being jack wagons. Now I just need to get the actual build thread updated with some of the new stuff. Will definitely do that very soon. Most likely February. I think I will have the time.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Ordered a set of front axle shafts (Yukon Chromo's) and Super Joints. The axle has Yukon Chromos in it already. I managed to break a u-joint this weekend in Harlan. It looks like I caught it early and it doesn't appear to have damaged the ears on the shafts. My plan is to pull the current shafts and replace the u-joints with new Spicer units, wrap that set up and put them in my toolbox as spares. Then put the Super Joints in the new set and install those in the axle.

Also, I just went out and looked the jeep over and it appears I have developed a leak from the rear diff. It looks like it is coming from the front of the diff around the pinion. I will get it all cleaned up later today and see if I can pinpoint the problem.

I will get a new picture uploaded to the beginning of this thread and go through the spec sheet in that first post and get it updated soon.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Alright, after having a horrible time with the passenger side, I found this.

The ears on the new shafts are 2.1865” apart.
a0bb18e5cbaf807d574e25bc13977649.jpg

But, from the outer edge of each spring clip on the super joints is 2.2120”. Those spring clips need to fit inside the ears.

37e3593d9aed6915efbcc4b4e0cfebbd.jpg

So why do I need to spread the ears on brand new shafts to fit u-joints made by the same vendor?

And to make matters worse, the instructions (under the section helping you to make sure the spacing is right if you are using your old shafts) states that the space between the ears should be 2.193”. .... I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are those Alloy\Ten Mfg shafts?
I've heard Yukon seems to do the same thing. They change their specs over time. More likely that they are importing the shafts, and are changing suppliers over time!

Yukon shafts and Yukon Super Joints.
I ran into that specific problem several years ago when Alloy USA was purchased by TEN Mfg. I purchased new joints for what was suppose to be the same axle shafts, with the same specs, and ended up having to do some work with the Dremel before I got the retainers installed!

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I started this on the “What did you do today” thread but figure I’ll continue over here with the specifics. My Jeep has developed a serious pimp lean to the driver side. It was brought to my attention that I may have mixed the springs up on the rear. There is apparently a left and right spring to compensate for the drivetrain torque. When I got the springs, there were no instructions that I remember and hey, they’re springs, just put them in. So I did. Well, I just pulled them back out. Here are the labels.

The passenger side
318C6B09-B3FD-4A75-8FBC-17250D940252.jpeg E045F944-A478-4E57-9DF9-4DD35FAE1801.jpeg And the driver side
FE3C420C-7317-4D40-BA64-E3D81C6149F6.jpeg C3FFC797-5698-4E41-BF26-EAE6E7E3EBC0.jpeg And a look at them side by side. One is obviously shorter.
B9B430A6-719D-4321-AC7B-2ED82AD9C77F.jpeg Since I don’t have any instructions (I am tired of looking) and there is only one other way they can go, I’m going to swap them. Taller one on the driver side. Which is labeled with a B and the part number is OME-942X.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well, I'm looking for input on what to do about the springs. By the instructions Larry found, I had it correct. So I see two options.
1. Put them back in the way they were and use the adjustments in the front to try to level it out (raise the front driver and lower the front passenger to try to shift the weight).
2. Swap them, this should get me closer to level and then use the front adjustments to get it right.
I measured the diameter of the coil wire and they are both the same. I'm not sure if they are different strengths or just different lengths. Let me know what you guys think. I have stopped for the night, the springs are still off.

Since I had the springs off, I figured I would take the opportunity to swap the exhaust since it was nice and open. I dropped the skid plate and started to remove the old one. As expected, both of the bolts broke off when trying to remove the old muffler. No big deal. But here is a side by side comparison of the old and new.

IMG_1055.jpg

And the awesome flow that I had. This added a ton of horsepower.
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1056.jpg

A little bit of a diameter difference.
IMG_1058.jpg

Another Monster in my life.
IMG_1059.jpg