Weird Tire Wear

Ok...so my buddy just asked me to look at his front tires. On both, the tire has uneven wear on the inside ridge of the tire..but only on every other lug. Its the strangest thing. The wear is almost a paper match in thickness different.

What would cause this? The tires are rotated every 5000 miles religiously....

They are rotated every 5000 miles...what causes feathering? Before he gets new tires, he wants to be sure that the cause is fixed...bad alignment?

Just to be clear...look at this pic...the red boxes are the lugs that are worn down. They are on the inside of the tire. I am reading this might be due to bad shocks, but both sides are doing it......Still think its feathering or cupping?

tirewear1.JPG

Just to be clear...look at this pic...the red boxes are the lugs that are worn down. They are on the inside of the tire. I am reading this might be due to bad shocks, but both sides are doing it......Still think its feathering or cupping?

View attachment 483
Usually worn shocks will show lumps or it'll be very choppy. Having two front tires out of balance exactly alike is highly unlikely. Check the alignment because evenly worn on the inside indicates too much negative camber.

Sounds like worn steering, or possibly wheel bearings. This type of wear typically indicates a wobbly wheel. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about a balance issue, but rather a loose wheel that is dancing around due to worn components.

Last edited: