New Jeep owner

many people take them off and use the brackets as bar pin eliminators on the rear shocks.
Which is the wrong thing to do. Remove it all and throw it in the scrap bin. The use of the axle side mounts as an Upper BPE is not a good idea bc it rotates the shock and puts it in bind. The rear shocks are mounted at an angle and as the axle drops they rotate on the pin. The best BPE I have ever seen is a small piece of angle with two holes drilled in it. Some even put a small piece of flat on the back side to gold them together. IIRC I used 1" x .25 or 1.5" x .25 angle to make mine. You cut 4 pieces about 1" wide and drill 2 holes in each. Done. Love the bolt! LOL!

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I towed it to Gulches today because the steering I have isn't working out and I had to put the stock stuff back on for now. After GGT I rode around a little and was pretty impressed. I'll give Joey a run in the RTI comp for the beater class now too :)

1315700066.jpg

1315700068.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The threads are screwed up on the end that didn't have a tre in it. To get the tie rod short enough the ends have to be all the way in and that one won't thread. I'm going to call rusty's today and see it I can get just the tie rod and drag link since I have all new ends.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've been driving the Jeep a little bit. Got on the interstate with it for the first time yesterday. It cruises along pretty good. I thought I had an oil pressure problem, but I temporarily hooked up an aftermarket gauge and it was within specs.

Don't laugh
1317688505.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I went ahead and changed the oil 15w40. It made a pretty big difference in the warm idle oil pressure.

The headliner fell on me, so I started pulling it the rest of the way down. I guess I'll go with bare metal roof for a while.

Why would it matter? They use the same mounts on every vehicle in the fleet of where Tripp used to work and county vehicles.
They never seem to seal right in my experience. But then again if this is a trail rig it does not matter really. Eventually it will get all cut up! LOL! :)

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This mount has o-rings against the roof and comes with sealer. But the truck doesn't have a headliner so really doesn't matter anyway. It sat outside last night with no leaks though.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I wouldn't have done it. But that's me. Maybe it's because I'm from Ohio and we had enough trouble keeping nature (and road salt) from creating holes for us and whenever the paint was penetrated, you were screwed. My opinion has always been that once you break that envelope by drilling or cutting, it will never be the same. But with that said, I'm sure it will be fine.