SC
    Smoking some salmon for tonight. Mmmmmmm
    Attached Images
    --Brooks

City
    Clemson
    State
    SC
    I guess you out grew the electric smoker you bought senior year?? Do you have a way to regulate gas flow out the "exhaust"

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Hammond View Post
    I guess you out grew the electric smoker you bought senior year?? Do you have a way to regulate gas flow out the "exhaust"
    unfortunately you cant control the temps in an electric smoker like you need to cook things well. Also, the electric element burned out in mine and rather than buy a $40 element I built my drum smoker.

And with the Ugly Drum smoker, you regulate the temp by the inflowing airways, and the exhaust is free flowing. Just took the salmon off and it held 180* for 3.5 hours today with only one adjustment about 30 minutes into cooking where it jumped up to 200.
    --Brooks

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Well aquired the barrel today from a guy in the Starr-Iva area. Been looking around at different plans and all seem to be about the same just some different variations.

Brooks, are you just using charcoal to burn or are you adding some type of wood too? Seems alot of people are just using charcoal.

Also do you have a picture of your firering? Have a few ideas but trying to see what works.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve97tj View Post
    Well aquired the barrel today from a guy in the Starr-Iva area. Been looking around at different plans and all seem to be about the same just some different variations.

Brooks, are you just using charcoal to burn or are you adding some type of wood too? Seems alot of people are just using charcoal.

Also do you have a picture of your firering? Have a few ideas but trying to see what works.
    I'm using lump charcoal to power it, and then I'll throw in one or two chunks of hickory or fruit tree wood when I start it. I'll see if I can get a picture of the fire ring, I dont have one at the moment.
    --Brooks

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Aight sounds good. Gonna try and go through the scrap steel at school and make something up with some expanded metal.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    yeah, I cut out a circle of expanded metal and then cut a long strip and bolted it together into a circle like a TP roll, then welded it to the bottom flat circle. If that makes sense. Then I added 3 bolts in the bottom as legs.
    --Brooks

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Yep that's what I'd planned on doing.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Got a piece of expanded steel from school. About to go buy the rest of what i need at Lowe's and try and knock it out.

This was a pretty good guide as far as what you need.
    http://www.howtobbqright.com/UDSsmokerplans.pdf

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    going to do a brisket this sunday on the UDS, anyone have any suggestions for a great brisket? I have a pretty good idea, but looking for pointers if there are any.
    --Brooks

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast