Ugly Drum Smoker

I guess you out grew the electric smoker you bought senior year?? Do you have a way to regulate gas flow out the "exhaust"
unfortunately you cant control the temps in an electric smoker like you need to cook things well. Also, the electric element burned out in mine and rather than buy a $40 element I built my drum smoker.

And with the Ugly Drum smoker, you regulate the temp by the inflowing airways, and the exhaust is free flowing. Just took the salmon off and it held 180* for 3.5 hours today with only one adjustment about 30 minutes into cooking where it jumped up to 200.

Well aquired the barrel today from a guy in the Starr-Iva area. Been looking around at different plans and all seem to be about the same just some different variations.

Brooks, are you just using charcoal to burn or are you adding some type of wood too? Seems alot of people are just using charcoal.

Also do you have a picture of your firering? Have a few ideas but trying to see what works.

Well aquired the barrel today from a guy in the Starr-Iva area. Been looking around at different plans and all seem to be about the same just some different variations.

Brooks, are you just using charcoal to burn or are you adding some type of wood too? Seems alot of people are just using charcoal.

Also do you have a picture of your firering? Have a few ideas but trying to see what works.
I'm using lump charcoal to power it, and then I'll throw in one or two chunks of hickory or fruit tree wood when I start it. I'll see if I can get a picture of the fire ring, I dont have one at the moment.

yeah, I cut out a circle of expanded metal and then cut a long strip and bolted it together into a circle like a TP roll, then welded it to the bottom flat circle. If that makes sense. Then I added 3 bolts in the bottom as legs.

going to do a brisket this sunday on the UDS, anyone have any suggestions for a great brisket? I have a pretty good idea, but looking for pointers if there are any.

Smoking two 10lb Turkeys tonight. Its my first time doing a whole turkey, I've done whole chickens, and I've Done Turkey Legs...I think it should be good.

I've had the barrel and every other part I need for this sitting in my shop since August, I hoping time will allow for me to finish it this weekend.

Let me know how the turkey turns out.

For the first time in, about 15 times cooking in it, I had to add more coals to the smoker after only 3 hours. I had packed the basket too loose and it was all fresh lump coal. Smoked two 12 lb turkeys for around 6 hours. The breasts and thighs were great, the legs and wings were still juicy, but to smokey tasting. I'm thinking its because of the charcoal reload I did.

I think my favorite thing to smoke on this thing is wings. Keep the heat around 180 and smoke them for an hour and they are crisp and juicy!!!

very similar but with a little different coal basket and different handles. Also, I'm going to paint the whole thing with engine enamel instead of the grill paint, as the grill paint constantly rusted through from just rain.

burned out the barrels last night with a bunch of cardboard I had around.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I also made the charcoal baskets, but somehow my phone didnt save the picture?