Ugly Drum Smoker

Ive been wanting to do this for awhile. Theres a place in anderson that usually has a bunch of old barrels, ive just heard alot of ppl say you have to find out what was in it as some stuff will cook on to your food.

from what I have read if you get a food barrel you have to burn the food grade liner out anyways, so basically any barrell will work if you burn it out.

There is a place in columbia that sells them for $5 each.

when it is time to clean teh inside of the barrel use cardboard as the cleaning fire. It burns hotter than wood supposidly. I had a real good fire from that in my smoker. So hot it metled the pot metal hinges :( I thoguht they were stainless steel hinges.

when it is time to clean teh inside of the barrel use cardboard as the cleaning fire. It burns hotter than wood supposidly. I had a real good fire from that in my smoker. So hot it metled the pot metal hinges :( I thoguht they were stainless steel hinges.
good to hear

I had been told to burn unpainted crown molding scraps or new pallets and just fill it full and burn it till its cool and then rinse it out.

where in cola sells them for so cheap? Theres a company named orien that make a convection cooker that would be another idea to make, along the same lines as this sort of.

got a barrel and burned it out, we went and picked up some parts from lowes, hope to start putting it together tonight so we can smoke something this weekend.

Finished my brothers up last weekend and i got another barrel for myself to make one. The hardest part is cleaning out the dang barrel. The one we made last weekend held a constant 245 for 10 hours with no tinkering. When we cooked the beer can chickens it held the 245 for the 5 hours easy and still had plenty of coals.

the cool thing about these is when you are done just shut the air intake and the charcoal goes out so you can reuse anything that hasnt burned.

oh, hmm... i dont think i took any. I'll see what I can do...it looks just like this:

but with a bottle opener.

I haven't finished the one I'm keeping, i sent his home with him for a bbq last weekend with some of his ADV guys.

I saw these from Pirate. I bought some drums (had apple juice concentrate in them), and bought most of the hardware, a temp gauge, grills and such. I picked up some old pallets the other day as well.
I'll burn it out when its not balls hot outside.