8.8 Gears and Locker

Now that I have a line on an 8.8, I need to start gathering parts. Anyone have the following they are willing to sell for a reasonable price? What Locker should I look for?

8.8 4.56 gears
8.8 Master install set
TJ brackets
the emergency brake cables to hook TJ to the 8.8

The 8.8 is disc brakes, but the TJ is drums...any specific mods needed for that?
Will I need wheel spacers to mount 5x4.5 wheels?
Ive got a price on setting up the axle, so I just need the parts. Id like to get the LS if nothing else, but a selectable locker would be ideal...

Call East Coast Gear Supply for the gears and install kit.

The cheapest place to get the Brackets is Mad4wd

Your stock Emergency Brake cables will hook up to the 8.8 with some cable clamps

How much are you getting your drum 8.8? you can get a disc one for around $100

Where are you getting the brackets put on?

Well I am getting a disc 8.8. I will check out those vendors for the parts. As for the install, I was going to ask you what you'd charge....shoot me a PM...It wont be for a couple of months, I can assure you of that. :)

Well I am getting a disc 8.8. I will check out those vendors for the parts. As for the install, I was going to ask you what you'd charge....shoot me a PM...It wont be for a couple of months, I can assure you of that. :)
I misread the disc detail, I'll shoot you a PM

The 8.8 is disc brakes, but the TJ is drums...any specific mods needed for that?
Will I need wheel spacers to mount 5x4.5 wheels?
Ive got a price on setting up the axle, so I just need the parts. Id like to get the LS if nothing else, but a selectable locker would be ideal...
I bought some e-brake cables for mine and they bolted right up with no cable clamps needed. I'll see if I can dig up the part numbers from usaautoparts.net. The wheels will bolt up, it's the same pattern.

EDIT- the part# I used was 52008363. I thought I had to use cable clamps but they came with direct fit rectangular ends.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have a set of 8.8 ebrake cables sitting around if you or anybody else need them. They'll eventually make their way to the dump.

I may grab those from you Larry...Just need to see what the axle comes with...

What Locker should I look for? I want something that is reliable, fairly inexpensive, and selectable...I hear Lockers are hell when its slippery if the auto lockers...

I had a detroit for 4 years and it was OK.... needless to say I have an ARB now and am much happier.

When I was shopping around ARB was the cheapest I could find.

A locker for a TJ is either

Cheap, Selectable, or Strong

(choose 2 of the above)

When I was looking for ARBs Clemson 4wheel was very competitive for the locker and compressor, may want to hit them up as well at least for a price.

I do lime the true track I've got now...can't even tell its there...problem ish believe ab
ARB's go for about 850...and eating e-lockers are about that too...the auburn e locker is about 690. Any of these better than the other? I like the idea of the elocker

Cool...I found the Eaton E-Locker for 725 shipped..Which is a pretty good price. Looks like the ARB is around 830.00, so $100 more plus the cost of on board air...TrueTrac is about $450.00

Yeah, but Im concerned about on road manners as well. Its my DD, so I have to keep it streetable...I was under the impression that a auto locker, aussie or spool are baaaaad ideas for DD....

the auto lockers arent really that bad in a DD, but in a TJ they can add some quirks to your driving. once you get used to driving them they aren't that bad.

marcus, its not the money thats holding him up, but he wants something him or his wife can hop in and drive to work as well. I have had a lockright, and a detroit, I have been there, sure its not so bad, but it can be a unique driving experience if you have never driven one.

Shane, Do you have an auto or 5 spd?