June 9-12 Overland Rally Asheville, NC

http://www.overlandrally.com/

Join us as we bring overland and expedition travel enthusiasts together with a focus on all levels of vehicle-based adventure travel including 4WD and dual sport motorcycle.

The four day event will have a limited attendance so register now for tickets and your on-site camping spot.

Registrants will have the opportunity to participate in many exciting classes and discuss all aspects of Overland travel, in a casual and relaxing environment. You will also have the chance to look at several products and get ideas and advice from follow travelers.

For those of you looking for a little challenge, make sure to participate in the Expedition Trophy. This is a great opportunity to test your skills and have fun!

This event is a great occasion to meet up with new friends who share a similar passion!

Event Features:

* On-site camping
* Local 4WD and motorcycle adventures
* Fireside chats, which include trip presentations by fellow adventurers
* Vendor exposition to support local companies and respected manufacturers
* Featured vehicles
* Movie night
* Expedition Trophy (YES, it is back!)
* Overland Workshop: Presented by Overland Training
* Overland chef demonstration and training
* Trip planning course
* Photography and videography presentation and training
* Adventure motorcycle riding course
* Overland driving course
* Field recovery course
* International driving session
* Navigation (backcountry and international)
* Family adventure planning
* Communications and electronics
* Other workshops as requested by the local members.

On Sunday I talked to a bunch of guys who are coming up from Atlanta. Should be a good time if you can get a camping spot by the treeline (assuming they are only using the lower camping spot, I think they might have opened up the top of the hill to camping as well???).

Well, we had a blast. My brother and I left the house wed around 5pm after my dentist appointment and hit the road. We hit 26 to spartanburg and took backroads up to wilson creek in pisgah off of brown mountain beech road. We camped in hammocks right on the river that night and swam in the river thursday morning to rinse off the dust. Thursday we headed up through The old mortimer mill area and up a trail off the dirt road that took us to the parkway. We had lunch at little Switzerland Cafe again just because its hard to top their smoked trout BLT. Then we hit some more gravel down toward Marion, NC where the flats are and where the rally was held. We got there around 3:00pm on thursday.

We setup camp and started chatting with people as they come in, we met so many great people and weston had some dual sport riders to hang out with. One being a guy named Anthony who had ridden his KLR from Canada to Panama last fall. What a story!!! We did some trail rides, Emergency response classes, medical training, photography class, Advanced 4wd class, map reading/gps and some great BBQ. It was definatly a great trip and they are talking about it being in the early spring or fall next year which will make it even better.

I only got a few pictures of the whole trip as I didnt have a copilot. Most of my pics are from before and after the rally on the road...

Attachments

yeah, the log pit was pretty cool, never done one before and they are slick!!!

the trails were pretty cool, there are a good bit of them and they have stuff from stock vehicles to lower 2/rattle rock trails. Pretty cool place and its fairly close.