Full Hydro or Assist

U don't really want to drive it on the road much id say throw the full hydro on. Spend the money once. A well setup full hydro kit is plenty streetable at any speed. Kenny with dales old jeep is doing a streetable full hydro setup. Don't know if its done yet or not though.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've got the trail gear toyota kit on my samurai. I love it. My only problem is pulley size. A toyota crank pulley is about 5.25" and a samurai pulley is 4", so my pump is underdriven. At low RPM the steering is slow, but at higher revs it is perfect.

When I get around to the engine swap I'll fix that problem.

I wouldnt do full hydro if i was you. I know you dont ever drive it on the street anymore but id just stick to hydro assist. You can do the trail gear kit or do what brooks did, he has assist but his steering is behind the axle and completely out of harms way. Id think assist would be adequate for what you want and need it for.

No "kit" is worth the money first off.

I vote full hydro. It's a simpler set up and it eliminates the unwanted forces from your steering and suspension. Then with all the junk out the way it will allow you to stretch the axle forward as far as you want and just do more in general. I'd still drive it on the highway. Everything depends on how well you engineer it IMO.

Full hydro is the only way to go. Spend your money once. You won't be happy w/ the assist I don't think. I never was and changed it up. I drove the 4runner about 80 miles in the snow with my full hydro and it did just fine.

I drove the 4runner about 80 miles in the snow with my full hydro and it did just fine.
it must have been pretty good because the lesbian wagon was dippin and you kept up for the most part haha. a properly set up unit is fine, its jang-a-lang redneck tractor stuff that gets scary on the street.

it must have been pretty good because the lesbian wagon was dippin and you kept up for the most part haha. a properly set up unit is fine, its jang-a-lang redneck tractor stuff that gets scary on the street.

Minus those couple of wheel spacer miss haps... lol. 4wheel drive drifts and wheel spacers apparently don't mix well

Heres my take I have had ps, hydro assist, and full hydro.

Regular PS sucks *** with tires over 33's but there is less to worry about breaking.

Hydro assist on my old dovetail truck worked great and I could still get out when my ps pump went out or if a line broke. It was not a kit just a put together kit.

Full hydro is great. Turns to well some times. Mine is a put together system, not one that you buy from psc or howe. Downfall is if your ps pump goes out, break ram, or blow out a line your stuck.

Heres my take I have had ps, hydro assist, and full hydro.

Regular PS sucks *** with tires over 33's but there is less to worry about breaking.

Hydro assist on my old dovetail truck worked great and I could still get out when my ps pump went out or if a line broke. It was not a kit just a put together kit.

Full hydro is great. Turns to well some times. Mine is a put together system, not one that you buy from psc or howe. Downfall is if your ps pump goes out, break ram, or blow out a line your stuck.
What about if your ram rips off your axle at 9PM when the party is gettin started???