Bead locks?

Ok so what is all this talk about bead locks being illegal? I have heard from a few different people, and always thought it was true. However looking online a lot of people say that different bead locks are illegal and some say they aren’t. So what is the correct answer? I cannot find any real laws against it!

That's because there is no laws!! For or against. (I read that somewhere, don't hold me to it.) Bead locks are not DOT approved, which doesn't entirely make them illegal. I ran them on the road for a while and never got in any trouble, and plan on running the new set. There's so many simulated beadlock wheels out there now it would be hard for them to get noticed anyhow. Besides, there are "street legal" bead locks on the market, and who's going to take the time to investigate.

not being DOT approved is different than illegal. Most beadlock companies do not certify their wheels because of liablity, I think champion, stazworks, and AEV are some of the few that DOT certify, but many just leave the DOT stamp/stickers on from before the wheel was converted.

As JR pointed out there are so many fake beadlocks running around that nobody would give you a second glance. Also, most wheels that are beadlocked would still have the DOT stamp on it so it is "technically" a DOT approved wheel.

For the Record, there is no SC state law that says beadlocks are illegal.

also, to add fuel to the fire, most rockrails, bumpers, fog lights, light bars, step bars, and any other mod you do are not "dot approved" either...but that doesnt mean its illegal.

There is a law against unsafe modifications though, so keep it classy sandiego:flipoff2:

quoted from jeepforum

Despite what a few beadlock manufacturer marketing departments are claiming, there is no such thing as a "DOT approved" beadlock wheel. The DOT does not approve any wheels, bead lock or not. They might meet DOT guidelines but that is it.

The DOT could care less if you run bead locks, there are no laws against their use so far as the DOT is concerned.

Here is a letter from the DOT to an individual who wrote them for their position on beadlock wheels...

"Dear Mr. C,

I received this message from NHTSA this morning:

There are no performance or design requirements for rims covered under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 120. However, there are rim marking requirements in S5.2 and rim selection requirements in S5.3.2. Note that in S5.2, a reference is made to rims of multi-piece construction, and this implies that these multi-piece rims are allowed. The bead lock rim appears to be a multi-piece rim and there is nothing that I’m aware of that would prohibit them from being used for on-road vehicles. I have attached a copy of the standard. It may be that some State DOTs are regulating them.

Hope this helps some

Sincerely,
Reference Services
National Transportation Library
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation"

I wish people would stop spreading false rumors on the street use of bead lock wheels without knowing the real facts. Not to mention that so far, to the best of my knowledge, no one has actually come up with any actual state law, NJ included, that specifically bans bead lock wheels. :)

I was browsing and there's a lot of gray areas, plus Jeeps are considered SUV's. Most everything's not enforced anyway. I couldn't find anything on wheels specifically. Here's a couple of examples:

SECTION 56-5-4445. Unlawful to elevate or lower motor vehicle; exception for "pickup trucks".

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a passenger motor vehicle on the highways of this State which has been elevated or lowered either in front or back more than six inches by a modification, alteration or change in the physical structure of the vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars. Provided, however, this shall not apply to motor vehicles commonly called "pickup trucks".

SECTION 56-5-4670. Fog lamps.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that, when the vehicle is not loaded, none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

Speaking of "alterations" and "changes of vehicle structure" (SECTION 56-5-4445) I'm sure we've all seen some of the flimsy lift kits that are put on cars. It's SCARY!! I've seen old Chevy box cars with 10+ inches of lift installed that I wouldn't trust driving on the back of a car trailer.

Point is: the law's lenient.