Things to do before the next wheeling trip...

When has the list never been a mile long? :shaking:

Right now I'm pretty much good to go, but of course there's always a few things that are reeking my nerves.

Wish list not included. :hnd:

-Redo a large portion of the roll cage. Triangulate this, cut that, narrow here. About to say bump it and take it to a shop and leave it for a weak. Cheaper than buying a bender.

-Get some rear shocks mounted and outboarded.

-Replace link ends with johnnies. Still waiting on arrival.

-Seats! Made the mistake of setting one of my welding blankets in the driver seats and now every time I sit down I get fiber-***-ted. Corbeaus would be awesome!!!

-Rear locker, for obvious reasons. Got one supposedly on the way.

-Reseal the transfer case.

-Beadlock convert the 15x8 steelies I'm running now. Blowing beads sucks and I miss having beadlocks royally.

Does that cover it? Probably not, but trails-ahoy!

Last edited:
well now that grand slam is out for me, i guess i'll be on a few smaller day trips perhaps before the Labor Day trip to windrock.

I need to replace or tighten my passenger balljoints, and get my warranty replacement gears installed...

Trans case seal...Front Pinion Seal, upper adustable front CA's, Slider install, rear corners install, put winch back on, wire in CB....Think thats it for now :)

TJ

Cut up my front TNT 60 truss again and move the lower coil seats back in order to compensate for the larger front stretch that I hadn't fully planned for. Switch out the steel cable on the xd 9000 and spool up the synthetic line I just scored from Steve and mount up the new rokmen big hawse fairlead. Check the rear limit straps I hung (in the dark) and make sure they are good to go. Make a front frame brace from 1.5 .250 wall DOM in order to hang front center limit strap. Figure out the bump stop situation; whether to use air bumps or bastardize some square the and poly bump pads. Continue to comb other boards for a deal on some 14" coil overs or ORI struts. Fab a trans and engine skid, radiator hoop w/ frame tie ins, and tie in the cage to the frame. Finish installing the rest of the stereo crap so i can hopefully hear something else besides the throaty 5.2.

JK

Install the Teraflex front frame brace and drag link flip kit. Install new front upper bump stops. Install cb and antenna that I've had for months.

Oh and heal up from the arm surgery i had yesterday so i can actually work on the crap listed above and perhaps finally go wheeling sometime this year.

OK, good gracious... it's coming down to the wire. Right now I'm in the middle of building a custom drop out cross member/ 3 link mount on the XJ. so far, starting yesterday, I've completely removed all remains of the existing drop out cross member/ link mount and stripped it down to bare frame. Last night I replated a large area of the frame with 3/16" with recessed 1/2" nut-serts every 6 inches (5 per side), cut 1/4" plate to bolt to the frame and incorprated the 3/16" wall 2x4 rectangle cross member. This morning I welded up the upper and lower link mounts to the cross member.

As of right now: build transmission mount, finish welding and gusseting link brackets, add a hoop to the back of the cross member that will act as a transfer case skid and re-enforcement mount, final welding on outside frame stiffener, pick up shocks from Brian, fab up some shock mounts for the rear, go pick up more cut-off blades for the grinder (used 12 so far), go get more wire for the welder, paint EVERYTHING, go drop off a chemical sprayer to my boss over on Monticello rd., BS with my dad who's coming over to visit, line front axle back up and adjust all 3 links, bum some cash from my dad, bolt everything back up, perform a full in-depth alignment, load up camping gear for this weekend, and a full lube job....

all before tomorrow morning for the Gulches trip. And here I am screwing around on the computer. :shaking:

At this point: outboard rear shocks, build a transfer case brace/skid, front shock mounts to go on axle, new 35" tires, seats, rear locker, bead lock conversion, and get a winch. Everything done before the last trip worked exceptionally well. I've got plenty of time to work on it this time. Or at least I say that now.