Jeep Tub Trailer Build

The tub has been acquired.

We need to get some trailer leaf springs, i am trading the YJ springs for some trailer springs

The hitch, wiring harness, and flush tail lights are all here

The 35" Goodyear MT/Rs

The trailer build is going to really start after I finish some things on Guzzy. But if anyone wants to learn some fabrication we are building this trailer for the club and to get some of the new guys out here behind a wrench.

We hope to have it finished by the end of the semester.

Here is a list of parts still needed:
- TJ fender flares
- Sheet metal (16 guage and 1/8" for the floor)
- 2x2 box steel
- Trailer axle for 5 on 5.5...I have ford hubs and spindles, but we need to find a way to weld them to an axle.
-Paint (black and coated in stickers)

let me know if anyone wants to work on it, its just chillin in one of the garages right now waiting on some TLC.

EDIT: tubs are together, and I am picking up the materials for the frame friday.

its been a long time coming but there is finally more progress!!

here is the original rusty tub after we cut it in half nearly 3 months ago

here is the new tub I just picked up friday

cutting the new tub

new front cap

main tub before the cap

did we mention bodywork is tedious? I never want to weld that much sheet metal again!

still need to smooth the seam out a little with some body filler, but its close, and we threw some primer on for its trip back to chapin.

you can get an idea of how it will look when finished

just like to add that we changed the plans of dropping the floor down when i found this good tub, there is no need to replace the floor in this tub.

Also the stock YJ tailgate will be used for the front of the trailer, we are looking for a CJ tailgate to use on the rear.

well she is rolling, we still need to decide if we want to do another paint job, but this one will be ok for now...the body work turned out good, but boy do I hate bondo, that stuff takes forever to fill,sand,fill,sand,fill,sand,fill,sand,fill,sand...

here is the only pic i have so far, but I have more to upload

we still need to add the cooler rack on the front, put the floor liner in, paint the tailgate, and coat the inside with either paint or bedliner. Also we need to do the wiring, put the wide flares on, and get some safety chains

I'm happy to say I drove 70-75 the whole way home on 26 and I couldnt tell it was back there. It tracks straight, doesnt sway, doesnt wag my jeep, and it doesnt rattle. I couldnt be more happy with it.

We still need to grind the tac welds on the inside seams, put some sort of floor in, I'm thinkin aluninum diamond plate folded into a big U to cover the floor and sides, and we need to paint the inside, and the cooler rack.

Trying to figure out a good method to put a top on it, keep coming back to the idea of a canvas tonnoue cover that clips or snaps on, but at the same time i want a hard cover that can flip up with gas strutts.

Anyone got a suggestion for what type of bedliner to use, or know of a good deal on it?

think we could get a GR8 Tops sponsorship and some discounted bedliner?:mrgreen:

Picked up some clear flush mount lights for the front, I got the screw on kind versus the rubber grommet kind because they looks a little beefier, but if it looks like crap guess I'll be bringin them back and getting the rubber grommet kind. Also the kind with rubber were $3 more per light.

Also picked up some safety chains and some bedliner coating for the rest of the frame. We used duplicolor "bedliner" for the frame, its more like a paint.

might see if I can pick up some of that raptor liner after my next paycheck.

pics after the raptor liner, i'll try to get some in the daylight soon. her maiden voyage is this weekend to uwharrie. still havent gotten the offroad hitch finished up yet.

highlift mount

and here in this pic i see a bit of blue i missed when i taped off the tailgate and sprayed the raptor liner...hmmm some black paint should fix that.

picked up a contico pro tuff bin for the trailer. and thinking about getting another action packer.

I think with these we wont have to cap the top because we can now put all our dry storage in these and then still stack firewood in the trailer.