Project XJunk Recap

So When I heard about Mudders day, in Sumter, SC this year I was trying to find an excuse to go but not drive my jeep in the deep mud. I think i found the answer.

I searched for a while and finally found the perfect solution. A $300 cherokee with a few bugs to work out.

I knew i didnt have all the money so I convince Casey and Andrew that this investment would be worth it, which they didnt beleive but figured it would be some fun.

So as of 10pm tonight we are each $100 poorer now and we now have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee that needs a fuel pump.

I gotta thank Austin and his dad for picking it up from spartanburg for us and delivering it to the garage.

With exams starting tommorow work will be scattered but we have 2 weeks to get her ready for the trip.

The buildup plans are as follows:

No Doors
No Glass
3" homebrew lift
32" TSL SXs
PVC snorkle
Orange Paint

At this time The only thing it needs is a Fuel pump hopefully. We gotta tear into it to see what exactly it needs.
before:
DSC00560.jpg

after:
DSC00629.jpg

well last night we got her running and drove her around. Thanks to brent for coming out and helping with the fuel pump. The fuel tank is rusted out, so we are going to have to put another tank in it. We also need to blead the cooling system as we are having some overheating problems.

but its alive.

also, the tcase grinds in 4 low, but we arent sure why. i need to put a front ds on it and figure out whats wrong in the tcase.

Anyone have any 242 tcases for parts? or an old 231 they dont need. or just a 23 spline input on a 231.

This is what everyone was waiting for!
You get to see the lift, and the amazing goo that helped keep our little t case lubricated.
we havent cut the front bumper yet and we havent done the killer rattle can paint job, but it still looks cool.

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

already at trail pressure, well at least one on them is

DSC00591.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

But wait theres more.
First is the 242 t case that came out, it looks brand new (NOT)
Second is the removable doors bc every Jeep should have removable doors
Third the bumper cut, a little better not sure if its final though

DSC00612.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

So now Project XJunk is only missing a few key elements. She now has a 231 from a YJ that works great.

We still need to add:

alignment
Snorkle
Rear shock mounts
Paint
No-Doors
Cage?:mrgreen:

got the extra leafs in the pack and it doenst bottom out nearly as bad now when it catches air. We still have a ds issue. our tcase is out of a yj so it is a UJoint front ouput not a CV and we have a CV XJ front shaft. So we are in need of a CV output for a 231 or a YJ front driveshaft. We are going to try to drill out our front yoke to allow us to put the CV ds bolts through, but im not sure if the head of the bolts will fit back there.

anyone have a front cv output for a 231 or a stock yj ds?

We are painting her tommorrow. Andrew took some updated pics tonight of the jeep, dunno when he might get them up.

here it is the long awaited snorkle, Im sure its not what most of you pictured but it is simple and functional.

DSC006151.jpg

DSC006141.jpg

Casey what were you doin in this pic.

DSC006161.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

Look how meaty those swampers are