need a wider stance

I have a 94 explorer that is tall and skinny, I would like a wider stance on the cheap.

I know 10" wide wheels will do that, but I like the 8" wide so i can air down. and also i cant seem to find any cheap used rims.

What about using 1.5" wheel spacers?

This will give me 3" front and rear, will that make very much of a difference?

This is a vehicle that is mostly for wheeling with some street use.

Thanks.

I used 1.5" spacers for a while, and they did great. The 10" rims will not do any good unless you are able to keep the same or less backspacing. Regardless of what option you go with you need to realize the hub bearings and steering will be under greater stress, so be prepared for some modification or upgrade

I have 1" wheel spacers on the front of mine and I regret it all the time. The wear and tear on balljoints is the downside for me. As well as the difference in steering feel.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I would go with 10" wheels over spacers but either will work. There's a good deal on a set of MT 15 x 10 wheels in the for sale on this site.

I ran 15x8.5 wheels with 3.5" backspace on my old explorer and liked the stance. Those wheels were Keystones, but you might be able to find something similar.

thanks guys. I think the spacers will be the quickest easiest way to go. but we'll see.

The biggest thing is the fact that it feels like im gonna flop on my side and I dont like that feeling.

I dont care about the look and i understand about the wear and tear. I will prolly have to trim the fenders with wider wheels but thats no biggie.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Probably should have started with some questions. How much lift do you have? Is it stock axles? What size wheels and tires do you have now, and what backspace on the wheels?

Good point,

6" in front with james duff arms, spring over in rear. stock axles except for 4.56 and eaton limited slip in rear, gonna put welded carrier in the rear. 35 x 12.50 x15 tires. 8" wide soft 8's prolly 3.5" back space.

im going for low buck wheeler that i can drive to and from the trail. prolly go with 5.13s eventually.

I dont have the time or the cash to go with a full width axle swap.

I've got some 15x8 rims on my Jeep w/ 2.5" backspacing. Its about the same width you would get from a 15x10 rim w/ the standard 4" BS. Those are available at 4wheelparts. Just make sure they are in stock before you order. I ended up waiting a few months for mine to arrive after numerous missed delivery estimates I was given. After all that waiting, they also sent me 1 wheel that was wrong. Thankfully they sorted that out very quickly.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I don't have to tell you that the best option would be full width rear and solid swap front :)... Since that isn't in the budget (although it might save you money in the long run when you keep breaking those D35 shafts and hubs), I'd go with 15x10" wheels or more offset wheels like bgredjeep said.