My/Wife trip

My wife and I are taking our first trip together next week. I got a room at a bed and breakfast in Bryson City(Just outside of Cherokee). Can anybody suggest a route to ride around at. I was thinking of taking Ashville Hwy for some scenic views (maybe Ive never been there). I can find my way around there I think, Ill usually go to Ktown with work, but the mainly on I40.

I was thinking about maybe getting on BlueRidge Parkway and riding around.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Are you looking for offroading, or just scenery? You're close to the parkway, and not too far away from the Cherohala Skyway. My wife and I rode the Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon last fall and it was beautiful (what we could see of if). We were in heavy fog and some snow for some of it.

My wife and I did it in a stock XJ. We had our honeymoon at Fontana Village, beautiful place. Tail of the Dragon is fun for sports car and motorcycle guys, not so much Jeep guys. Our vehicles are too tall and soft for the extremely tight turns. A lot of people feel nauseous after driving this road, if you do decide to go, you might consider taking some Dramamine for the wife. :^)

That sucks about Tellico! I know it's been open/closed off and on for a long time. We really are loosing many of our public OHV trails.

Definitely do the route: from Cherokee, 441 to Gatlinburg and then visit Cades Cove. Its very scenic and you could stop to check out the look out at Clingmans Dome along the way. Then there are two primitive roads out of Cades Cove: Rich Mountain Rd and Parson's Branch. Rich Mountain road will take you back into Tennessee whereas Parson's Branch will take you towards NC and dump you a couple miles from the NC border on the TN side on Tail of the Dragon. From Deal's Gap (start/finish of Tail of the dragon) you can take NC28 back to 19/74 to get back to Bryson City. NC 28 is very scenic and will pass Fontana Dam/Village and is a very pretty drive. I've driven Parson's Branch before and it has something like 7 creek crossings and is about 8 miles long. Both of these primitive roads used to be wagon roads they used to get into Cades Cove back in the day. Just call ahead to inquire about Parson's Branch and Rich Mtn. Rd because they can be closed sometimes. Here's the route:

Short Route

Here's a map of another trip I've done, its a long day trip but its all scenic you get to see the elk at Cataloochee, Cades Cove, Fontana Dam/Lake and many roads are gravel:

Long Route

--Justin

Thanks for that Justin both look like good rides. We should be leaving friday to go up there. Saturday getting on a train ride (forget exactly the name, starts with a M though). Looks like Ill be riding a good bit friday. Thanks to everybody for the ideas.

All I can say is WOW. Wife and I didnt want to come back home. Never made it to Cades Coves :(. We took Skyway then backtrack to a dirt road (hwy 81) followed that for awhile before we decide to head to Cades Coves ended up on tail of the dragon. Got lost by listen to GPS ended up on Happy Valley rd :grin: omg that road was worse than Tail. Due to how small it was, very narrow, as well as curvey. Gps said to follow that road for 11miles and turn right (yea right) onto a dead end road. Ended up following it for 30 miles it seemed into Maryville Tn. :grin: That was a nice ride well not for me being sick half the day. We left for the skyway at about 4pm didnt get back to our room till midnight. LOST I say.

I can only hope to do it again next year.

well I guess you'll have some stuff to do the next time you make it up there. Glad ya'll had a good time. You got me interested again in looking up to see what I could find in way of scenic drives in the area and here are some more that look good to me, but I haven't done them:

Cherokee Orchard Rd/Roaring Fork Rd

Greenbrier Rd.

Little River Trail

West NC/East TN tour This one the map doesn't show it but the road will continue and bring you into the Andrews/Murphy area. Just a couple routes that I plan to check out the next time I'm in the area.

And there's this from Smoky Mountains Nat. Park: Auto Tours

Last edited: