Xj problem!

So it all started the other night when i got the heep back from being regeared! It had over heated about 6months ago i replaced a bunch of stuff. Well after a new thermostat, and temp sensor and getting the eletric fan running again. It was good to go. Well drove it about 50miles and came home when to leave for work the next morning and wanted to turn over but would not start. I replaced the CPS, didnt do the trick. Started for me this morning to go to work, went to leave and no go it wanted to turn then next thing I knew it was getting nothing wouldnt even get power. I disconnected the battery and it started. Im stumped!

Any help would be great!

I think you need to sell it to me for $200 bucks so I can use it as a parts rig for my cherokee :)

Other than that, I cant help ya :)

Check the condition of the battery terminals and check the ground location to make sure its not corroded or covered in other crap. If it is still cranking but won't fire, and you already replaced the CPS, the next stop would be the coil. Once the CPS receives signal it then powers the coil and fires the injectors. But since you are saying that once you disconnected and then reconnected the battery and it works makes me want to to say that you have a bad main connection and/or ground.

I checked the battery and ground! They seem fine. Now it is doing the same thing but if, i swap the relays around it will start, and then later on it will not crank again!

Lets start with the basics. Check your air filter. you will have air.
Get one of those cheapie lights that go between spark plug and plug wire and see if you have spark.
Is your fuel pump new or original. I am not sure how to test fuel pressure on the XJ, but i would look into that.

Check your ecu or harness? Maybe it is getting reset with the battery pulls? Although, with the relays bing swapped, that probably is not the answer...

Hey Brian, I'm the world's worst trouble shooter but go through and check the fuse box under the hood again. I had a blue 60 to go out at a gas station on the way to River Rock one time. It's amazing what won't work when that goes out. :la:

I'll call ya. I might come check it out if I come up that way.

Last edited:
I checked the battery and ground! They seem fine. Now it is doing the same thing but if, i swap the relays around it will start, and then later on it will not crank again!
So which is it.... engine cranks over and will not start or engine will not spin over at all?

And which relay did you swap out to get it to start? Starter or Fuel pump?

i got a fuel pressure gauge if you need it.
Does it crank?
if it cranks.. do the plugs fire?
if the plugs fire is it getting any gas?
if its getting gas then is it getting air?

If it doesnt crank then i could be a ECU.
could be the ignition not connecting.
The relays might mean wiring,
Get some relays from a junk yard. pay $1 walk in take relays and walk out. lol

give us more details

Its different every day. Some days it trys to turn over some days it will not turn over or have any power. Ha Ill sell you the cherokee for $250 come get it. LOL u didnt say what it still had to have on it. Any way started right up today and pulled the boat to the lake. Dont know what it was but may have just been a glitch.

i got a fuel pressure gauge if you need it.
Does it crank?
if it cranks.. do the plugs fire?
if the plugs fire is it getting any gas?
if its getting gas then is it getting air?

If it doesnt crank then i could be a ECU.
could be the ignition not connecting.
The relays might mean wiring,
Get some relays from a junk yard. pay $1 walk in take relays and walk out. lol

give us more details
Pay for relays ya right! That is what my nice big tool bag is for!