Belly up, Tummy tucker, flat skid... opinions?

I have done alot of research and have narrowed my choices down to two; Under Cover Fab Works aluminum skid and AEV TT. I am trying to keep it simple NO BODY LIFTS and minimal installation pain. What are you running? How do you like it? How was installation? etc.... Look'n for opinions and input.

Running the ucf original tt....just noticed indented it a little :( but I went with the 3/16" steel version. It was easy to install, holes all lined up nicely and with their low pro mount, it would not needs body lift....

I modified my factory skid to get it up higher. The problem I ran into when I was raising the height of the trans/transfer case was the top of the t-case was hitting the bottom of the tub once I raised it about 1.5". I DO NOT have a body lift and do not really want one so I'm also curious to see what other people are doing.

Edit: This explains one way to do it without body lift
http://www.undercoverfab.com/brackets-and-tabs/78-ucf-lopro-transmission-mount-97-02.html

Last edited:
I know you don't want to run a body lift but rokmen makes a super beefy skid that also has an awesome engine/trans skid that can go with it. Only down size is that it requires a 1/2 inch body lift which they custom machine in house.

http://www.rokmen.com/armor-protection/skid-plates.html?manufacturer=6

Also I run a tera belly up on my TJ and had to use a 1" body lift, even though I could probably get away without one if I lowerd my trans mount and clocked my stak down a little. The body lift also helped with my drivetrain swap and routing of the exhaust.

Running the ucf original tt....just noticed indented it a little :( but I went with the 3/16" steel version. It was easy to install, holes all lined up nicely and with their low pro mount, it would not needs body lift....
Yeah I am looking at the Ultra-high clearance skid with the Lopro mount, for earlier model TJs. They say that the 97-02 TJ with those two pieces requires no body lift. Are you happy with the end result? no vibrations, etc...

Well I placed my order. After alot of research I went with the AEV TT. It was a little more expensive than the UCFW UH skid and Lopro combo but, the UCFW product does not come with hardware and requires the cat be moved forward 2" wich will offsett the cost differance. After researching installs on both the AEV comes out ahead for the most detailed instructions and hassel free install. Should be here Wednesday and I will do a install write up. After this I am done for awhile, time to enjoy wheeling this thing and quit wrenching on it :)

The stuff showed up today and an hour later Christian and I sat around with a beer looking at each other with utter astonishment. Let me tell you what...You get what you pay for with AEV. Installation was by the numbers and flawless. I am still in amazment that it was that simple. The only task left is to slot the mounting holes in the fan shroud to lower it a tad, the fan just barley rubs the bottom of the shroud. No suprise there the instructions said it would probably happen and details how to remedy it. The end result was beyond my expectation. I will get some pics today (we installed it after the sun went down, too dang hot lately) and post em up.

IMGP2823.jpg

Last edited:
Wrapped up the install today by notching the fan shroud mounting holes to lower the shroud about a 1/4 inch and bending the tranny shifter back just a tad so it doesn't impact the dash on hard shifts. My $50.00 shop press was worth every penny. Drove the heep to work and no vibration, no rattling....AEV isn't cheap but, you get what you pay for, I am beyond pleased with this install and the end result.