jeep stalling

Its a 95 grand and after the lift i put it in reverse and its fine, but in drive its stalls. Any ideas what the prob could be? All the fluids are fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

i dont think putting the lift on has anything to do with it stalling..
v8 or 6? the pcm's are prone to failure on zj's.
check fuel line pressure.
could be fuel regulator..

Could be a lot of different things!
Is the engine light on any codes? You can go to any parts store and get a print out!
I have heard of battery having bad spots, and causing it to cut out but it doesnt make sence since it doesnt always do it!
Tps?
or torque converter!

If the engine light is on test it! and go from there.

And like Mark said make sure its getting fuel!

Start checking the small stuff and move up!

I dont think the lift is the cause either. The jeep has been sitting since I did the lift. I would have to jump it off every so often. Just got the brake lines on and bled. So I was going to drive it around the yard so that I could check out how it drives with the new components. When I put it in drive it stalled out. It does fire right back up, but it will stall again. I cant remember if the check engine light is on or not but I dont think it is. Also it pre 95 so I cant get codes from say autozone. Just noticed too that there is water in the brake resevoir that wasnt there when the lines were bled and there were no leaks. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Would the cps also cause the jeep to run rough?
Yes. It can cause running rough, stall randomly, long crank times, or no start at all. The putting it into drive gets me. I had a similar problem and my neutral safety switch was corroded up. It's a known issue that's an easy fix IF that's what it is.

On the driver's side of the transmission. You'll see the linkage right by it. It'll be a big plug with a wire harness and loom on it. Unplug it. Pull it out and clean it. If that doesn't fix it at least you've prevented a known problem. It's simple and take about 5 minutes.

Hopefully that's your problem. My old XJ did that. It's supposed to only let you start the vehicle in N or D only but, if faulty, can cause the opposite and stall the engine. I was lucky enough to just clean mine and it never gave me another problem. Give it a whirl and see what happens. Anything else and you're gonna start spending some time and money. Good luck.

Ok so I have looked on both sides of the trans and I cant find this thing wth. Is it maybe not on the grand cherokee? Even following the write up, there isnt anything under there that looks like that. I am confused. Please help.

Sorry, I missed that it was a Grand.

I assume that it is the same transmission. I did a quick google search, and others say that the Grand has one. However, I have never looked at one to see so I can't verify this.

Any ZJ owners out there that wouldn't mind taking a peek to confirm?

NSS Pic

NSS Pic

Last edited:
I'm not sure. But, following the tradition of changing as little as possible from year to year, I would imagine that the CPS is also located in the same place as the XJs. If memory serves me, the CPS is located on the top of the bell housing. I hear it is a real pain to replace. You may be able to lower the tail end of the trans by unbolting the crossmember from the frame to make some room for your hands in there.