Better Braking for TJ with 8.8 swap

A couple years ago I swapped in an 8.8 with disc brakes and expected to get better braking but I think it actually got worse than stock. Anyone have suggestions on how to improve it?

Upgrade to a 00-01 Durango master cylinder. Its a bolt in swap that requires no remaking of lines or fabbing a push rod. I'm using one on my TJ with ford dual piston 1 ton front calipers with chevy 3/4 ton rear calipers with a stock proportioning valve and have great brakes.

Edit: Here is the part number off of parts mike's site http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=1631&action=show_detail

Also there is a lot of good info on pirate 4x4 from mrblaine on TJ braking.

Another point of note is remembering that a lot of braking force in relation to the size bore is the master is dependant on the booster. Putting a huge MC (ram 3500/E350) on a small booster (like the stock TJ) is not the way to go.

Last edited:
Upgrade to a 00-01 Durango master cylinder. Its a bolt in swap that requires no remaking of lines or fabbing a push rod. I'm using one on my TJ with ford dual piston 1 ton front calipers with chevy 3/4 ton rear calipers with a stock proportioning valve and have great brakes.
hmmm... I didnt think my brakes were that bad, but I may have to try that.

Did you reuse the reservoir or did you get the durango one with the reservoir

Last edited:
You either need to upgrade your master or replace your proportioning valve. The 8.8 brakes take more fluid than the 35 drums did. You need a way to get more fluid back there.

hmmm... I didnt think my brakes were that bad, but I may have to try that.

Did you reuse the reservoir or did you get the durango one with the reservoir
I bought a whole new master cylinder with resi. The resi is about the same height but is wider and holds a good amount more fluid. Only issue I ran into was the mounting bracket for my PSC power steering resi wouldn't fit. But it was nothing that about 5 minutes with some angle steel and the old welder didn't fix.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
A master cylinder that originally came on a 4 wheel disk truck will make a big difference. When I did the disk 8.8 swap in my '92 explorer (originally drum) I used a '95 Explorer (first year of disk rear) master cylinder and it worked great.