4.0L propane conversion

Has anybody or does anybody know of someone that has converted a 4.0L to run on propane. The companies that offer kits do not want to discuss converting and engine with fuel injection. I have 93 ZJ that I would like to convert to propane. It would be great if I could set it to be dual fuel so I could run either propane or gas.

Has anybody or does anybody know of someone that has converted a 4.0L to run on propane. The companies that offer kits do not want to discuss converting and engine with fuel injection. I have 93 ZJ that I would like to convert to propane. It would be great if I could set it to be dual fuel so I could run either propane or gas.

The main advantage of running with propane is to avoid costly fuel injection conversions on motors with carburators. Why would you want to convert a fuel injected motor to propane? You not only lose horsepower but limit your ability to fill your tank anywhere.

What is your reasoning?

I've heard of it done to a Jeep motor but I believe it was a 258 that got converted. It was done to a late 80's YJ. I don't think I'd go that route if it sees a lot of street use. Far more upgrades in the fuel injection category.

there is a kit out there that will make the truck dual fuel and it works with injection. You end up adding propane injectors and a box in the cab that you flip a switch and it will switch back and forth from gas to propane seamlessly. I think it runns about $1000 though.

Unless you are willing to throw money at it, most likely it will be a pain in the rear. Far too many times the setup isn't right and then you'll be smelling propane all day. No, this is not a happy smell and in general is quite dismal.

Also propane always runs out at the most inconvenient times. Like say, during a hill climb and you have to ask some random guy to "climb in there and switch tanks while I hold the brake pedal". Yeah, that sucks if you are the guy swapping the tanks. Or when you leave your spare tank at the tow rig and while at the farthest point away, guess what happens.

Overall, I'm fairly negative on the subject just from experience. Smelling that stuff all day and wondering when the tank is gonna run out really isn't all that fun. I believe Clippa has a similar story.

You already have EFI, stick with it. Except for needing another vehicle to go fill up your fuel tank...during normal business hours...you won't notice a difference.

Doesnt propane give you better performance though? Burns cleaner and gets better fuel economy for dd? Just curious as I had thought that moving to propane had multiple benefits that outweighed the negative...

Doesnt propane give you better performance though? Burns cleaner and gets better fuel economy for dd? Just curious as I had thought that moving to propane had multiple benefits that outweighed the negative...
I think it depends on if you run propane only or plan to run duel fuel. If you run duel fuel you have to compromise on your fuel mixture. supposedly only propane can be as little as 10% hp loss. It takes more propane than gas to produce the same amount of power but propane is cheaper...so it is a wash...

I've never had it but just from wheeling with others that do from what I've witnessed I don't think I'd have it at all. Being no expert on the subject: doesn't it freeze up or something if the motor idles to long??? I see guys with propane revving the heck out of the motor more often than normal like they're keeping it heated or something.