Gears?

So it looks like im going for gears on Monday or early next week! I have it down between two places. Heartville 4x4, and west wateree. I have a 98 xj auto 4 speed aw4 with dana 44s on 35s may be picking up a set of 37s soon, but not sure. My debate is 4.88s or 5.13 its my dd right now I drive it city and some hwy! Which gearing would be better? I have looked at charts but they dont ask your trans or motor type so I dont really get how they are usefull...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've run 5.13's and 33's with a 'similar' rig ('92 Explorer). I loved the bottom end it had, but I could only run about 60 mph. Any faster and it was screaming the motor. I got on I-20 one time with it like that and went from exit 55 to 51 and took backroads the rest of the way home.

If you are staying with 35's it'd be a hard decision. If you go to 37's, got 5.13 without a doubt.

I vote 4.88. I loved that gear on my 44/9 even with 37's. For 35's it had wonderful power and cruisability up to 75. The only thing good I can say about WWO is that they did do my gears right. That above said axles are the ones I built about 5 years ago and have been beat on royally ever since. Gears still look brand new! I'm running a set right now that they geared for me and it's story with those. That's the ONLY thing they do right. But watch them.... closely!!

4.88s and dont put on 37s and dont go to west wateree
Well I am about lost where to go!!! I have called around and every one is high or will not do it.

Kenny in west cola wants 300F/250R + Gears, install kits

Hound dog 4x4 takes it to a guy they use so its high

My transmission guy will not do it

Most local shops dont want to do it

Midas wants 450 to install per axle

West wateree is 1050$ for everything including front and rear install kits, yukon gears, oil, labor, and all new bearings for the front and rear axle. He also stands behind his work and products

Heartsville 4x4 quoted me 880$+ oil and a lil more if I want all the bearings replaced so I am getting another quote tomorrow, the prob is its 80miles each way so 2 cars their one back then a week later one their and two back. LOTS OF GAS

you better buy a frame with those 60s....
Nice, I wanna hear that unibody creak and make other lovely noises.

4.88s will be like returning to stock gearing and good all around performance with your 4.0/AW4 and 37s, 5.13s will give you good around town performance and a little lower crawl ratio of road but will limit your top speed on the highway by a few mph. Just think of the biggest tire you would use on your 44's and go with a gearing that makes sense, this way you won't end up hating your gears after the tire swap or doing gear swaps twice. Go with the shop that uses quality gears and install kits like precision/yukon/10 factory gears and timken bearings, not G2 or the made in china install kits.

Well I am about lost where to go!!! I have called around and every one is high or will not do it.

Kenny in west cola wants 300F/250R + Gears, install kits

Hound dog 4x4 takes it to a guy they use so its high

My transmission guy will not do it

Most local shops dont want to do it

Midas wants 450 to install per axle

West wateree is 1050$ for everything including front and rear install kits, yukon gears, oil, labor, and all new bearings for the front and rear axle. He also stands behind his work and products

Heartsville 4x4 quoted me 880$+ oil and a lil more if I want all the bearings replaced so I am getting another quote tomorrow, the prob is its 80miles each way so 2 cars their one back then a week later one their and two back. LOTS OF GAS
I say take your time and do it yourself. I'm sure you can source any tool or help you may need here.

That is why I am leaning toard west wat.. off road. They use Yukons they stand behined them and I have heard problems with them, but have also heard they are very good at axle regears! I cant seem to find anyone cheap that uses decent parts. Who are you thinking about using for the 5.38 swap?
Nice, I wanna hear that unibody creak and make other lovely noises.:weld:

4.88s will be like returning to stock gearing and good all around performance with your 4.0/AW4 and 37s, 5.13s will give you good around town performance and a little lower crawl ratio of road but will limit your top speed on the highway by a few mph. Just think of the biggest tire you would use on your 44's and go with a gearing that makes sense, this way you won't end up hating your gears after the tire swap or doing gear swaps twice. Go with the shop that uses quality gears and install kits like precision/yukon/10 factory gears and timken bearings, not G2 or the made in china install kits.

I'm going to use ECGS to regear the rubi, just going to trailer it up there.

I may just do it. I have been reading up on regears hours and hours!
If you wanna go at it yourself let me know, I've got the special tools as you already know. Do you plan on doing the gear install with the axles on the floor or still under the rig?

I am still debating back and forth. I am not going to west wat.. off road now for the price I dont want to get screwed. Looks like they are doing ****ty work again! I am either going to try it my self, Go to heartsville or try east coast. I talked with east coast earlyer and he is a very strait forward guy no bs! What brand did he recomed you or what is the brand you plan to go with Will?

I am still debating back and forth. I am not going to west wat.. off road now for the price I dont want to get screwed. Looks like they are doing ****ty work again! I am either going to try it my self, Go to heartsville or try east coast. I talked with east coast earlyer and he is a very strait forward guy no bs! What brand did he recomed you or what is the brand you plan to go with Will?
I'll be using yukon 5.38s. Yeah Chase and Ryan are great guys and always answer the phone and are there for dvice/opinions when you need it. I just wish there was a shop like ECGS that was a little closer but can say that their customer service and track record make them worth the drive. Funny thing is Chase says he thinks that they get more business from people outside of the raleigh-durham area.

you better buy a frame with those 60s....
:deadhorse:
Well now, there comes a point in time in the progression of a rig when that frame is worthless!!! I can't tell you how many big buggies I've seen start out as a framed rig and within no time become all tube chassis. A fully caged XJ that's been frame plated and tied in will, and does hold up to the abuse of one ton axles very well. And cost less to build it that way than it does to buy a stock "framed" rig and start all over.
Even on a Brian budget! :flipoff2:

Full interior and partial exo cage, chop top, rocker replacement tie ins, Chevy 60 front, van width 70 rear, 5.13's and 37's+ are in my plans for this year. Ordering cage and tube this week!