89 YJ is cutting out on me

I have an 89 wrangler and it runs well except when i'm slowing down the car will cut off if i don't feather the gas on it. And most of the time i can't sit idle without it cutting out. It's the 258, anybody got suggestions? I was thinking it was maybe the carburetor but this is the first car i've had with carburetor..

Thanks guys.

The simplest thing to do is grab a spray can of carb cleaner and spray it in as many of the jets you can see. If it's running fine at speed the fuel pump shouldn't be the issue. A can of sea foam run through the gas tank is good too. The only other thing I'd make sure to check are the vacuum lines. If you have one dry rotted or cracked the carb might not be acting correctly.

were 89 yjs carburated? I know Hunter's 88 is fuel injected.

EDIT: looks like the 6cyl YJs were carburated till 1990 but the 4cyl had the Fuel injection...hmm

sounds like it needs a tunup, or a motorcraft or weber swap

Last edited:
Those old carbs were bad about the throttle shaft wearing out and not running properly. Going to a Webber conversion is your best bet, unless you can find a good rebuilt replacement. The original partial electronic carter was a problem when it was new.

Alright thanks guys, I'm about to try and work it out. Sorry for posting in the intro forum btw didnt realize where i was looking when i went to post.