Royal Blue

Google it. I rode there several years ago and it was great, and it was free. I hear it's something like 5.00 a day now. It's just north of Knoxville. I-75 goes right thru the middle of it. They also have released several Elk there. It's all Gov. owned and backs up to Windrock. We actually went into Windrock a short way when I was there.
I will look for some pic's from my trip and post them.

I have a map of all of Royal Blue that I bought when I was there. You are welcome to borrow it. I will mail it to you if you want to use it. I don't know if they sell them any more or not. I got mine at the Pilot station off I75.

I've been wanting to get to Royal Blue for quite some time. IIRC I talked to a ranger up there several years ago and he was very supportive of ORV use - unlike in many areas.

I'll look into making a map of the area for y'all.

Looks like it only shows the side east of I-75. There are some trails on the west side and you can ride to the top of the mountain where they have mined for coal and cut the entire top off the mountain. That's where you get into Windrock. When I rode it I ran into some folks from up there and they showed around some. Let me know if you want to put something together.

I pulled out my map and looked it up. The area is 50,000 acres. My map has all the land on the east and west side of 75 well marked. They also have grades of difficulty marked. You can camp on the trails but I would camp at Cove Lake State Park which is right off the interstate and you can be on a trail from there in a minute or two. I would love to make another trip. Let me know if and when you want to put something together. I can contact some locals for the grand tour.

Some of the trails are marked ATV. Does this mean that they are only big enough for 4wheelers or is this typical of other off-road maps suitable for trucks?

When I was there we had so many trailes to ride I really paid no attention to weather there were atv trailes or not. The trail we rode into Windrock on was supposed to be atv but was plenty big enough for my TJ. Man if I didn't have a camp site reserved at Hartlell for Memorial day weekend I would ride up.

Last edited: