Snowbird OHV Open House Sat May 29th

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973448

Crawfords Campground said:
Hello everyone,
I got an interesting call from the Eddie Franklin (Developer of Snowbird OHV) today wanting to put on a rally if you will from right here at Crawfords Campground and Cabin Rentals. This event is open to all 4x4 vehicles(No ATV/MC's or Rail buggies) and the fee is free to enter the Snowbird OHV park. The entrance will be off of Boiling Springs Rd.(Just about 6 miles from the Campground) where you will get a taste of what they have been building(50 acre rock crawling area as well as other trails. They are trying to increase memberships to this area and this is the best way to advertise. You see before you purchase. I am told there is no limit for this event, but there is a limit to parking at the entrance for vehicles that have to be trailered up. So, the best way is to have registered vehicles that you can drive right from camp.
A couple of interesting facts on us out here trying to survive is that I know serve All You can Eat Waffle breakfasts, we can refill your propane and most importantly we still have the rock garden. Please note that we do not have Gas in the tank, so bring your own.
Please let me know when you make a reservation if you intend on eating Sat night BBQ Dinner so I know how many to cook for as well.
Crawfords Campground said:
Right now they are wanting to expand their membership to 50(They are at 20+/-). The membership is $1000 per year and you can take upto 5 persons with you. You can look at all the details at www.snowbirdanglers.com. In the near future they are wanting to hold comps a couple times a year and maybe let Jeep Jamboree come out. This will give them time and money to build up the park over time.
I think it is important to let everyone see a large crowd at one time, so they can see what they are missing as well as to get the County involved. They are all about pumping tourism up in this area. A little late to dinner if you ask me, but at least with the new guys running the commission they are interested.
http://www.snowbirdanglers.com/

i would like to go to the open house but I sure wouldnt be able to afford that. If I lived closer and hunted and fished as well I may be worth it.

If its nice, a club membership might be nice...get everyone who would be interested in going out there to throw in a percentage. I doubt that everyone would want to go each weekend, and 5 is a good number of rigs for a fun weekend out....if 20 guys sign up, thats 50 a piece...not to bad...

I see why they're asking $1000/yr. Basically you're getting a 4x4 club, a hunting club, a fishing club, and a mountain cabin all for $1000/yr. I actually think its reasonable. Not that I can afford it.

Also, Andrews is a pretty sweet little town with a great mexican restaurant. And you're about 15 minutes from the Nantahala Gorge and all the rafting, fishing, hiking, and forest service roads that come with it. I spent 2 summers up there guiding rafts. Its a beautiful area.

Just like 06TJX said, if a club were to pitch in together to buy 1 membership, it'd be worth it. Club trips would be limited to 6 people (account holder and 5 guests), but if you make 2 trips, that's 11 people, around $90 per person. Now if you make 2 trips of 2 groups a year, that's $45 per person per trip. 3 trips a year with 2 groups would be about $30 per person per trip.

Not saying that it's a great deal, but if a club were to purchase one, and enough people were interested, it may be worth it if you go enough, especially if some of the members hunt.

Some one needs to go up for the open house, take lots of pics and vids, and then write up a report...Once we have that, it will be easier to determine if there is enough interest in a club membership....Heck, 50 bucks is nothing. thats two days at gulches....and if we go more than two weekends a year, its a bargin.

If your not wanting to buy a pass because of the cost call eddie @ 828-389-4362. He will do 1 day or 2 day rides for 5 rigs on the weekends for $25 per jeep per day

Hey - is there any more information out there about this place? How many miles of trails do they have? I have only seen a few pics of the same hillclimb. Is there enough there for a day ride? Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. If someone wants to Go up some weekend, let me know...I bet we can convince a few other rigs to head up....Maybe Linus, Brooks, Greg could be convinced.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I was at Snowbird about a month ago on a motorcycle , I was told by a member there was no daily rate and there was only about 50 acres of the 5200 acres dedicated to OHV . Never saw any of the trails . I would like to know more my self because I have a house only 20 or so miles from it . We have a place to stay if we could find if it's worth the trip .

I was at Snowbird this past weekend. There are way more than 50 acres for OHV use. I rode around for a day with a member and was told there were about 50 miles of trail. There is about a 50 acre area (I'm horrible estimating area) with some buggy-scale rock ledges and obstacles. Other trails go from mild to intermediate and I didn't see but a fraction of what is out there. The view from Buzzard's Roost was amazing.

Membership is $1,000 per person per year and each member can bring 5 guests at a time. Note that is five guests, not five vehicles. It could be 5 guests in 5 vehicles or 5 guests in 1 vehicle. If I lived close I'd pay the $$$ in a heartbeat to be able to fish, hunt, wheel and camp all year. Oh, and the trout are M-O-N-S-T-E-R-S.

I'm going back up there probably in November and will have room for 4 to 19 additional people depending on the amount of heads-up I can give the members. Cost will be $25 for each person to get in and I'll be camping at Crawford's Campground which is maybe 10 minutes away. Anyone interested?