ball joints.. whats the 'trick'?

i got the axle out.. the knuckles out.. the lower ball joints is super loose.. and top one didnt look bad but i figured i might as well replace both..

so i try to ball joint tool from HF.. nothing..it starts to budge but find out zerk fitting on top of the ball joint got smashed and it sunk inside the hole..

So whats the trick to taking these suckers off.. i pounded the crap out of it.. top and bottom.. Do people grind the tops off and drill them out or am i missing something.

Thanks
mark:shaking:

The smashed grease fitting gives it away!

Your setting up the tool wrong!

To remove
You need the pipe that's just larger than the balljoint on top, then stack on the disc shaped adapter. The shaft should be resting directly on the balljoint shank!
You need to remove the lowers first, that will give you access to the shank on the uppers.
To install
You need the pipe on the shank side, with an adapter, and the other adapter on top of the balljoint. The shaft will be pointing up when installing. The grease fitting should be the last thing you install. You will need to install the lower joint first, giving you the upper hole as access for the shaft of the tool.

The joints remove in the upward direction towards the fender, and install in the downward direction to the ground!