Southeast Samurai- needs a name

Instead of blowing up the what did you do to your rig today with Samurai questions I figured I would start a little build thread.

Been a long time Jeep guy and just recently picked up an 88 Samurai. Used to wheel a 5.9 grand cherokee and wanted to get into something lighter with a frame. Still have the Jeep but will probably start parting it out in a month or two. Heres the specs on the sami.

Just picked her up:

Stock 1.3L with weber 32/36 carb
Stock 5 speed
Toyota axles front and rear, 4.11s with spartan lockers
6.5:1 with mighty kong crossmember
Toyota IFS steering box and high steer
Toyota springs front and rear
98" wheelbase
33" firestone MTs (I have a set of 35 KM2s that will probably go on it and sell these)

Just took it out on a little shakedown run to the Gulches in Laurens SC. It crawls awesome, taking a little getting used to the manual and not having that throttle response of the V8. I had problems with the motor not staying running when the samurai would lean to the front driver corner. Its running really rich too, that isn't tire smoke in the pictures. The weber carb has a 90* rotation plate on it.

Motor pic for reference

Have a few things to address right away besides the motor:
-Driver seat is way to close to the steering wheel and sits to high. Might order a set of the PRP roadsters for it. Or cut it out and make a stationary mount
-Has no storage. Need to fab up a center console with cup holders (spilled to many beers this last trip) and some storage for tools and fluids
-Front axle has some nasty wrap to it when I hammer down. I thought the rear would need a traction bar but it was pretty solid. The front is another story.

Down the road Ill be looking at a 16V 1.6 swap and using the links from my ZJ to 4 link the front, but for now I am just glad to be on the trail agian.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I would imagine with a little tuning that carb setup would work just fine. But, I'd sell you the stock carb off my original motor and the rebuild kit I have, assuming I can find the rebuild kit...

Fuel cell shopping. Larry or any other small engine guys, how much fuel do you burn in a good day of wheeling? Like from sun up to end of day at somewhere like Windrock or Harlan. Been looking at the RCI 2161A but also thought I might be able to get away with a small cell like a 5-8 gallon. I need to do some more tech research on running the cell, but my samurai already has an external electric fuel pump so replacing the tank with the cell shouldn't be a huge issue. One thing I haven't been able to find the answer for is what is the point in having two pick ups? How can you run from two picks up to one pump? I know for if fuel is sloshing around etc, but if you have a decent amount of fuel in the tank and run foam that shouldn't be a huge issue should it?

Never ran a fuel cell or helped set one up so I am web wheeling here.

I would imagine with a little tuning that carb setup would work just fine. But, I'd sell you the stock carb off my original motor and the rebuild kit I have, assuming I can find the rebuild kit...
I copied that over from my pirate thread I made and will delete it. I have no intentions of switching back to the stock carb or really even messing with this one after talking to you and some guys on Pirate. Planning on saving all money for a 1.6 swap and hopefully can snag that Geo Tracker I linked pretty soon.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have the 2161A. I think the most I've ever burned in a day is about 4 gallons :).

The issue with the 2161A is the pickup tube from the top won't pull the last couple gallons. If you run a small cell that's the same way reduce your use able fuel by a gallon or two...

I have the 2161A. I think the most I've ever burned in a day is about 4 gallons :).

The issue with the 2161A is the pickup tube from the top won't pull the last couple gallons. If you run a small cell that's the same way reduce your use able fuel by a gallon or two...
Yeah I didn't think I would need 10+ gallons for a day of wheeling in this. When I would beat on the 5.9 all day that thing drank fuel.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ+Products/547/200-010-01/10002/-1

Also found this one, similar in size to the 2161A but $100 cheaper and a little smaller. Would just have to drill a hole for a return line. I also am not sold on the poly cell rather than a metal one. Everything would be secured in the rear so not worried to much about something hitting it and busting it open, but you never know.

I have a 12 gallon bladder type summit fuel cell that I'd sell for cheap if you're interested. Might be a little big for you though. I can send you a picture if interested.

I have a 12 gallon bladder type summit fuel cell that I'd sell for cheap if you're interested. Might be a little big for you though. I can send you a picture if interested.
These things are great. Mine actually came with JAZ stickers all over it even though I paid for Summit brand. I wouldn't run anything other than a bladder cell in a rig anymore. The mounting isn't as critical and it is somewhat protected.

Good to hear Clippa. Taylor I'll text you but will buy that cell. I measured the rear "bed" space and it is 35x34". The cell is around 18x17 so it would take up a roughly a quarter of the space, not to bad. I can fit a swag offroad action packer mount next to the cell and still have some room for a cooler and tool bag and fit rear cage mounts in. The cost of the cell and the swag mount would be close to the same as a new cell so I am sold on it.

Good to hear Clippa. Taylor I'll text you but will buy that cell. I measured the rear "bed" space and it is 35x34". The cell is around 18x17 so it would take up a roughly a quarter of the space, not to bad. I can fit a swag offroad action packer mount next to the cell and still have some room for a cooler and tool bag and fit rear cage mounts in. The cost of the cell and the swag mount would be close to the same as a new cell so I am sold on it.
Sounds good man.

Just put it in a big tupperware plastic box and call it quits like nick did! hahaha
Ayy boy you see that new fancy walmart fuel cell I got right there?! YEEEYEEE

Got a little birthday cash that I wasn't expecting to get. Either going to tint the windows on the truck or buy some seats for the sami. Anyone have any experience with Ebay or some type of off brand suspension seat? Corbeaus aren't to bad at $398 shipped for two Baja JPs, but if there is a similar quality seat for less I am not against it.

Ayy boy you see that new fancy walmart fuel cell I got right there?! YEEEYEEE

Got a little birthday cash that I wasn't expecting to get. Either going to tint the windows on the truck or buy some seats for the sami. Anyone have any experience with Ebay or some type of off brand suspension seat? Corbeaus aren't to bad at $398 shipped for two Baja JPs, but if there is a similar quality seat for less I am not against it.
I'll play devils advocate and say tint the windows on your truck. I wrapped all my windows in 5 percent and 27 on the windshield. Probably the best mod I've ever done for any car.

Just go to your eye doctor and say you have sensitive eyes so you need more window tint. Hahaha had my mom write me mine.