Bubba Rope?????

It is hand spliced recovery rope. I'm currently testing a very similar product that Southeast Overland will be carrying under our name within a month or so. I'll have the test piece at the Spring Offroad Festival along with some prototype tow ropes for everyone to check out.

Bubba Rope's length is determined under load - SEO's length is determined when not under load. These ropes stretch up to 30% so take that into account. I wouldn't want to be snatching a vehicle with a rope that is less than 20' long for safety reasons.

I'm sure they work fine, but you can get a Keeper strap for less.

I have a 6" Keeper (yes it's HUGE) that I've add for over 20 years.

JP
Are you talking about a Keeper static tow strap (polyester)? Most static polyester tow straps only stretch a few %, nylon dynamic recovery/snatch straps stretch about double, maybe triple depending on the manufacturer, where as the recovery ropes I'm testing and will offer soon stretch up to 30%.

Well you're right. But why do you want soooo much stretch?

JP
Are you talking about a Keeper static tow strap (polyester)? Most static polyester tow straps only stretch a few %, nylon dynamic recovery/snatch straps stretch about double, maybe triple depending on the manufacturer, where as the recovery ropes I'm testing and will offer soon stretch up to 30%.

Well you're right. But why do you want soooo much stretch?

JP
Good question. So you can get a good dynamic snatch when someone is really stuck. The more controlled stretch you have the more dynamic force will be generated to get a truck out of mud, a high center, snow, etc. I still use a regular 'ole tow rope for general towing because as you pointed out they are much cheaper - but for dynamic recovery situations a recovery strap (medium stretch) or a recovery rope (high stretch) are better. I also favor tow ropes and recovery ropes to straps because you don't have stitching to degrade and will all else being equal the stitching will be your weak point.

I think abrasion is the leading cause of strap failure... Not stitching :)

Tow/snatch straps (hookless) have worked well for me for 25 years, I see no reason of replacing them with a newfangled stretchy rope.

I've also used straps at the end of a winch line with great success.

JP

I think abrasion is the leading cause of strap failure... Not stitching :)
Stitching abrades/degrades just like the strap material does. Stitching is also the weak point on a brand new line. I guess you could make a comparison to a weld on a piece of metal - you need the weld to join the two pieces of metal but the weld also introduces a weak point. I have a strap I'll bring to the Spring Offroad Fest as an example. It more than likely would still work great - the strap has some abrasion but the stitching is coming undone - so I've now retired it.

Tow/snatch straps (hookless) have worked well for me for 25 years, I see no reason of replacing them with a newfangled stretchy rope.
By all means, use whatever works for you. There is no need to replace gear that works safely. Now I could tell you a story of a group I ran across at URE a few weeks ago attempting a recovery with a chain...O boy!

I've also used straps at the end of a winch line with great success.

JP
As long as the strap does not stretch and you use good, solid, closed connections (no knots) between your winch line and static, non-stretching straps then you should be OK there. I'd strongly recommend against introducing a dynamic material such as a snatch strap or recovery rope into a winching situation. That will introduce stretch and more stored energy which during a failure would become very dangerous with recoil.

:cheers:

Winch anchor straps are made of the same material as tow/snatch straps and have some give too...

JP
As long as the strap does not stretch and you use good, solid, closed connections (no knots) between your winch line and static, non-stretching straps then you should be OK there. I'd strongly recommend against introducing a dynamic material such as a snatch strap or recovery rope into a winching situation. That will introduce stretch and more stored energy which during a failure would become very dangerous with recoil.

:cheers:

I watched Ultimate Adventure and the Bubba Ropes were used quite a bit on there and I was impressed. I cant justify the price right now when I have a ton of other stuff I need but man they would be sweet to have.

Winch anchor straps are made of the same material as tow/snatch straps and have some give too...

JP
A winch anchor strap, if you mean the same thing as a tree strap, should be made of polyester or another material that has nominal stretch. Tow/tree straps (along with winch extensions) and recovery/snatch straps are not the same thing. The 2 (or 5 depending on how you look at it) are often incorrectly identified - even by manufacturers. Tow/tree straps and winch extensions should not stretch where as recovery/snatch straps should stretch.

I watched Ultimate Adventure and the Bubba Ropes were used quite a bit on there and I was impressed. I cant justify the price right now when I have a ton of other stuff I need but man they would be sweet to have.
Recovery ropes are definitely not cheap. The raw materials are pretty darn expensive, and then you have to add in two splices and abrasion guards.

If you are going to be at the Spring Offroad Festival this Saturday in Columbia then you can check one out I'll have on display. I see you are in Clemson - my (small) store is in Seneca on Ram Cat Alley (suite 103) and is open on Fridays and Saturday's 11-5 (and sometimes longer hours) as long as I'm not out wheeling or at an event like I am this Saturday.