Frontier -vs- Tacoma

alright so theres currently a thread over on club frontier and someone put a link in it to tacoma world and the yota guys like tacos better and nissan guys like frontys better so i though i would see what happened to when i asked a few biased jeep guys which they prefer so here goes...

frontier - fully boxed frame
metal bed
261hp/281tq
32in a/ts (on nismo)
d44+e-locker
skids
flat belly (nothin hangs below frame)
sits like a truck
easy swaps of titan parts
cheap interior
and the deal maker on CF... 5k less than tacos!

tacoma-partially boxed frame
plastic bed (composite)
241hp/261tq
32a/ts (TRD)
yota axle+e-locker
skids
low t-case still
sits like a car
lots of aftermarket
less cheap interior
5k more than fronty

theres also a debate about nicknames fronty sounds like some kind of lingerie taco= well you know lol

if im wrong about anything feel free to correct me but i feel like 2nd gen tacos (lol) are overpriced and to highly thought of just b/c theyre yotas, and ppl bring up resale well my 08 w/ 63k is still worth almost $20k accordin to kbb

im probably gonna post a link to this over on CF and hope it makes it way to tacoma world so theres a fairly non-biased view point on this.

thanks ya'll for the input

Last edited:
There just seems to be much more aftermarket support for the Toyota. Then again i am a bit biased for the Toyota. Nissans are fine vehicles. It is nice to see them built up cause they are not as numerous as the Yotas when built

Tacomaworld is for posers and fags. Want to know tacoma tech check out ttora. I've got a first gen and will gladly follow you with your frontier and I'm open and open. Toyota rear is stronger then a dana 44, you find ppl breaking 44s all the time and rarely see toyotas break. Third member design is to thank for that. My buddy had an 09 or 0x tacoma 4dr 2wd non trd v6, paid 23k a couple years ago new I'm not sure what miles he put on it but he sold it back to the toyota dealership in greenwood 2 weeks ago for a hair over 20k. That's holding its value. I've seen where guys with tacos run trails with buggys and built solid axle rigs with ifs and 33-35s.

I could be biased but I would put a toyota up to any nissan except maybe a patrol. Nissans look way more heavy then tacomas I'm not sure what they compare in weight.

o i love the 1st gen tacomas but theyre alot smaller and more nimble that the 2nd gen nissans and toyotas. if your talkin about 1st gen stuff nissans had 3rd member axles with a 9.2in ring gear and guys rock 37s on those alot. im gonna work on an 88 nissan startin this summer b/c i like em and i like bn different.

i honestly think the holding its value thing is BS who would pay 20k for a yr or 2 old truck when you could by a new 1 for a grand or so more? shoot my nismo 4x4 crewcab v6 was only 25k new!

and frontys 05+ weight 400lbs more than 05+ tacos but most of that is the frame and 20 more horses make up for it

They both have stupid plastic beds now. Aside from that they are both fine. A nissan with the 6spd will smoke a taco. They are FAST. As for holding their value the yota may have it on the nissan but the nissan is cheaper to get.

They both have stupid plastic beds now. Aside from that they are both fine. A nissan with the 6spd will smoke a taco. They are FAST. As for holding their value the yota may have it on the nissan but the nissan is cheaper to get.
really? my 08 has a metal bed and ive yet to hear of newer ones gettin plastic bed? but i got to drive a 6sp v6 truck and i love that trans its a great truck trans. im stuck with an auto tho since the 6sp in crewcabs wasnt an option til 09. i was so pissed when they made 6sp an option less than a yr after i got my truck

as for fast theres a guy with a naturally asperated v6 running low 13s high 12s at almost 100mph on clubfrontier

Im not understanding what exactly your comparing, whats better of the two stock trucks?

Those hp numbers seem mighty high for both of them to me. I'd still pick Tacoma just for the fact of the HUGE aftermarket support, but i drive one and i've always been a fan of them.

LCengineering took a 3rz 2.7l toyota 4cylinder that comes in tacomas and put down close to 500hp with a turbo, and im thinking someone got 1200hp out of one as well.

yeah its stock to stock. it happs alot on clubfrontier so i thot id get some outside opinions. those numbers are at the crank, i think im layin about 220hp to the ground

This debate is retarded. I have spent a bunch of time around both, and there both damn fine trucks. And yes the 6 spd nissans are stupid fast for a v6 truck they just have the most ****ty clutch ever, damn thing has absolutely no feel to it.

Having solid axle swapped several nissan trucks and pathfinders, I can say I would never bother building a Nissan again and go with Toyota. But that is just me.