242 TCase in a 06 TJ

Im thinking of putting a 242 in my TJ. I have one in my garage I got for free, but I believe it is a 21 spline. How much of a hassle is it to match it to my 23 spline 6-speed? Not sure I want to do this yet, but I am looking at costs vs. benefits. I already know it will need a new chain, and possibly and overhaul. Shane.

We do a lot of Driving up north in the winter in the TJ. It would be nice to have the option of full time 4x4...They are not as strong, and dont have SYE's (but have Hack N Taps), but i dont know that either of those would sway me away from doing it if the function is better for my purposes. It has the same part time ratios as the 231, but adds in the full time, which I like. The other option is to try to put it on my wifes 08 2wd libby, but thats gonna cost : )

Yeah...That would be the only compromise...except I am thinking of going full selectable here in the next 12 months if I can find one cheap enough. That would eliminate the need for the Lockright, and would allow the best of all worlds. Until then though, the Lockright would work just like it does in 4x4 now....and at high speeds, or in high traction situations, you know what that means...I saw your post about driving in FWD with a lockright...SCARY! I am kind of thinking long term project for this. Not sure it will happen. I may save it for the day I buy a 2wd cherokee....but even then, it would be the same question...how hard is it to change the input shaft from 21 to 23 spline?

There is lots of dreaming going on in my head...and some things are cost prohibitive..and others ..well lets say...could be approved by wife mod 1.0

Last edited: