Cheap In-Cab Winch Control (How To)

It's on every offroad website in the world I imagine but thought it could be of use to some of you. Especially those who don't web wheel like the rest of us.

Anyway...

Here is the wiring "schematic" if you will:

View attachment 6472
Here is a picture of the parts used and part numbers to order from waytech. Very nice switches and hold up much better than a cheap *** autoparts store switch:

View attachment 6473
I ended up making mine hot all the time instead of using a toggle to switch power to the controls. Did this mainly for space but also since the buggy has a power disconnect that kills power to everything it works well.

Picture of what wires to connect to on warn8000:
View attachment 6474

View attachment 6475
View attachment 6476

Last edited:
Also, I used a wire that has 3 12GA wires in it that is all in a rubber sheath. It makes for a clean install. I don't know where it came from though...just some stuff that was in the shop.

My guess is depending on what you already have and what option you go on switches you can be in a nice setup for $30-40 max.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Don't know if it's just me, but I can't see your pictures. It just has the attachment numbers.

I did the same thing a few months ago on the jeep. I ordered the factory type switch from a vendor on ebay that has a winch logo on it for the disconnect, and Tripp got me a nice momentary on off on toggle. I used 14 gauge speaker wire for my connection to the solenoids.

your winch is eligible for a 5 wire upgrade for free if you dropped it off with us. Yours is a 3 wire system with push on terminals and it would be updated to a 5 wire socket for safety reasons. (but that complicates your in cab switch slightly)

mid 90's and newer Warn winches run a 5 wire remote socket. The remote completes a ground connection for the solenoids in addition to sending power for in and out.

Last edited:
I really like those push buttons. can you list off the part numbers in those pics? I cant make them out. All the pictures seem to work for me?

Will do. Crappy cell pic (as usual). And yes the pictures work now after I uploaded to the second post...
Odd enough.

44049-Push Button Momentary (normally open)
44043-Cover for 44049
44252-Toggle On-Off with screw connections
44214-Cover for 44252